Blocking at Home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
My understanding of the rules ( changed a few years ago for safety) is that the catcher must leave a path to the plate UNTIL AFTER she in receipt of the ball. Thus if a catcher sets upstraddling Home on top of the plate she is illegally blocking - even if the runner and the ball are bang bang arriving in the glove and sliding in. The simple fact that the plate was blocked is illegal? Catcher must setup at front of plate ( or behind it but that is not usually what is trained) and once has ball can position her body any way she desires.

What is the rule?

Mar 1, 2013
Not overly difficult, really. It's not always applied well or correctly, though.

A defensive player without the ball and not in the process of fielding a batted ball may not impede a runner. The catcher can stand in the baseline and block the plate all day without the ball until the runner is impeded. If the runner is impeded by the fielder without the ball and not in the process of fielding a batted ball, it would be obstruction. There is no protection for a fielder about to receive a thrown ball. I only call USA, but I believe the other alphabet soup sanctions treat that similarly. Please others correct me if I'm wrong on that.

If the fielder (catcher in this situation) has the ball, they can be wherever they like.

Oct 24, 2010
fastpitch91: Whose rule do you think has changed? Why would the plate be different from any other base?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not overly difficult, really. It's not always applied well or correctly, though.

A defensive player without the ball and not in the process of fielding a batted ball may not impede a runner. The catcher can stand in the baseline and block the plate all day without the ball until the runner is impeded. If the runner is impeded by the fielder without the ball and not in the process of fielding a batted ball, it would be obstruction. There is no protection for a fielder about to receive a thrown ball. I only call USA, but I believe the other alphabet soup sanctions treat that similarly. Please others correct me if I'm wrong on that.

If the fielder (catcher in this situation) has the ball, they can be wherever they like.

Correct.

Jul 22, 2015

This is the rule (more or less) for every organization but NCAA. I'm assuming the OP was talking about the recent NCAA change in which the runner does NOT have to actually be obstructed. If the fielder sets up in the runner's path at any point it is obstruction.

May 10, 2021
if a catcher sets upstraddling Home on top of the plate she is illegally blockin
Do you mean standing up straddling the plate? This is itself is not obstruction if there is access to the plate. Similar to straddling any other base.

The catcher will probably do it once and after they get swept away with the slide that would be the end of it.

Or does it mean something else?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If the C sets up with the plate directly beneath her, in other words, the edge closest to 3B is in front of her, she is legal with or without the ball, if she sets up with the plate BEHIND her and straddling the line, she is illegal and potentially obstructing.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
If the C sets up with the plate directly beneath her, in other words, the edge closest to 3B is in front of her, she is legal with or without the ball, if she sets up with the plate BEHIND her and straddling the line, she is illegal and potentially obstructing.
She's not illegal until she hinders or impedes the runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802