Big organizations.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
How do big organizations work ? DDs team is not an organization it was a team that came out of rec, since 8u fast forward year and half later DD is a good pitcher and couple of organizations wants her on team, I got an offer her on the field and me on assistant coach, ?? She gets a lot of playing time lots of pitching as well, but there are some issues besides that.
can you guys share pros and cons ?

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Maybe this other team would be a great fit for her but I personally have a few issues with this based just on what you have shared.

1. What’s wrong with the team she is on now? What makes this “big organization” appealing? Is she not getting playing time now?

2. Did you ask to be an AC? If they offered you a coaching position unsolicited just to get your daughter, then that seems shady.

3. This is 10U, I’d be skeptical of any coach offering unlimited playing time at this age. Seems like a win at all cost team at first glance.

4. What other issues are there? Again, what’s wrong with the team she is on. What does she want to do?

5. Did she actually try out for other teams or are they trying to poach a 10 year old?

Don’t get caught up in everything shady about travel ball (not saying you are or that this org is shady, but....). She has plenty of time for all the BS later, make sure she is enjoying the game and team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
At 10U, there is no real benefit of joining a big organization. Keep working on development, practicing, playing tourneys. You want to make sure she still like to play the game. Too many kids flush out if they play too much too early. Maybe at 14U and above is where it starts to make sense to join a bigger organization. My DD did summer All Stars for 5 years staying in Rec ball til 7th grade. Our rec program was pretty big and we were able to keep the better players together without the exodus to TB. The TB teams are just not close to our part of town and would require a big committment to drive to practices. So we just stayed together, played summer All Stars and dipped our toes into open tourneys starting 12U fall. Parents were not happy when I told them that my DD needs to leave the comfy confines of the nest that we built around the families. Others followed suit and joined other teams. Out of all those girls that I had on those teams 4 are currently playing in college, and I just heard that one of my younger players is going to commit today. Another will play at an Ivy next year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Through 12U, the quality of coaching (player development, not winning games) is the second most important thing for your DD. The first most important thing is your DD having fun. "Fun" doesn't mean goofing off and not working hard. "Fun" means she enjoys playing and practicing the game. Good coaches can be demanding and push the players to reach new skill levels, and still make it enjoyable to be a part of the program. Being part of a big org, or being an independent team, is not a determination of the quality of the coaches.

Jun 24, 2019
Couple of things.

1. She never gets credit from head coach for anything she could have 10 strike outs on a game and not a single word comes out of great pitching, ( I know she doesn’t need that but it would be nice to hear it from somebody else)
2. No I did not ask to be an AC, they told me that since I’ve been her coach since 6u and now I am her pitching coach(bucket dad lol)
3. She would only pitch bracket games or ship games ..
4. Couple of months back she was being picked on by a team mate approached HC about it and seems like he don’t care. Now this little girl picks on everybody causing issues between them.( another thing procrastination from HC) need girls to get challenged..

5. She hasn’t try out this is just from coaches seeing her play
Maybe this other team would be a great fit for her but I personally have a few issues with this based just on what you have shared.

1. What’s wrong with the team she is on now? What makes this “big organization” appealing? Is she not getting playing time now?

2. Did you ask to be an AC? If they offered you a coaching position unsolicited just to get your daughter, then that seems shady.

3. This is 10U, I’d be skeptical of any coach offering unlimited playing time at this age. Seems like a win at all cost team at first glance.

4. What other issues are there? Again, what’s wrong with the team she is on. What does she want to do?

5. Did she actually try out for other teams or are they trying to poach a 10 year old?

Don’t get caught up in everything shady about travel ball (not saying you are or that this org is shady, but....). She has plenty of time for all the BS later, make sure she is enjoying the game and team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Couple of things.

1. She never gets credit from head coach for anything she could have 10 strike outs on a game and not a single word comes out of great pitching, ( I know she doesn’t need that but it would be nice to hear it from somebody else)
2. No I did not ask to be an AC, they told me that since I’ve been her coach since 6u and now I am her pitching coach(bucket dad lol)
3. She would only pitch bracket games or ship games ..
4. Couple of months back she was being picked on by a team mate approached HC about it and seems like he don’t care. Now this little girl picks on everybody causing issues between them.( another thing procrastination from HC) need girls to get challenged..

5. She hasn’t try out this is just from coaches seeing her play

it sounds to me like there are enough reasons to look for a better place for her to play. That said, I'm not a fan of telling a young player that she will only play in certain situations. In what you described (only bracket and ship games), it sounds like the coach is putting way too much focus on winning.

Jun 24, 2019
it sounds to me like there are enough reasons to look for a better place for her to play. That said, I'm not a fan of telling a young player that she will only play in certain situations. In what you described (only bracket and ship games), it sounds like the coach is putting way too much focus on winning.

thanks for your Input.
Also forgot to add more to playing time, she will be playing her Infield spot which is 3rd base, HC from that organization said that he’s got starting pitchers that he needs to develop, I would be hard for me to leave (friendship and time I’ve put into this team) but DD needs to get challenged, in order for her develop more skills . Her PC has always said that cream of crop will always rise ... idk 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 24, 2013
So Cal
thanks for your Input.
Also forgot to add more to playing time, she will be playing her Infield spot which is 3rd base, HC from that organization said that he’s got starting pitchers that he needs to develop, I would be hard for me to leave (friendship and time I’ve put into this team) but DD needs to get challenged, in order for her develop more skills . Her PC has always said that cream of crop will always rise ... idk 🤷🏻‍♂️

Make the decision that's right for your DD. You know her better than anyone. Keep in mind what she wants - it's her journey, not yours. I've seen too many kids lose the love of the game by getting pushed too hard too early.

May 11, 2018
in my area there are around 12 big orgs. only 3 of them play only div A or play up and travel nationally. they always finish in the top 3 locally at the best tourneys. the other 9 orgs put out some ok teams but the colleges chase around the top 3 orgs. so what i'm saying is big orgs are not always a great thing. my DD plays for one of the top 3 orgs and the competition for play time on her team is intense these girls are working everyday just to stay ahead of each other for playtime. I sometimes wonder if this type of competition is worth it but DD loves it and refuses to quit every time i ask. 10u should be fun and not have any type of pressure 12u is when its time to start getting them ready for what is coming up for competition in the future.

Jul 8, 2020
There are benefits to being in a bigger org from what I have experienced. Not saying this is a must or have to go this way. Big org (more likely the "primary" team coach) Coaches have relationships with the college coaches, get feedback on players, understand what they are looking for and how they run things. They also usually seem to have bigger rosters so less play time for the players. Question on when to transfer is always interesting. 14U for sure, but i think starting in 12U to get a feel for the org might be beneficial too. We started travel second year 12's and there were already girls in travel for a while. It all works out though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478