Beware - Bait and Switch Tournament (Michigan)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2021
BEWARE

S.M.A.R.T.S. Softball Tournaments

“Bait and Switch”

Our girls softball team registered to play in a S.M.A.R.T.S tournament in Monroe on June 5th & 6th. The wording on their web site (smartstournament.com) says, “With top venues throughout Southeastern Michigan and Northwest Ohio”. The web site shows a picture of a great facility for the tournament. The web site also encourages hotels in the area in which our parents made advanced arrangements to stay. The cost for 4 game guarantee was a little pricey, from $365 to $440 plus a pre-paid gate fee of $195. You have around $600 invested but for a nice inclusive facility, 4 game guarantee, and posted in the rules 1hr and 45minute games it was worth it.

Then less than 2 weeks before the tournament we are notified we were switched to a small park in Temperance, Mi. Parents scrambled to change hotels as instead of being 10 minutes from the fields they were now over ½ hour away. The field we played on had “NO” outfield fence, “NO” covered dugouts, a short (less than 8 ft) wood bench. There was “NO” concession stand, and “NO” indoor restrooms as would have been at the Monroe facility. If fact there was one Porta-Potty to service the area and it was not cleaned after Saturdays games and Sunday it was overflowing (Gross!). In addition, the tournament rules were printed on the web site stating 1hr and 45 min game times. We were notified that the games were now 1hr and 10 min. When the tournament director was questioned about the rules change he said, “I wrote the rules and I can change them”.

This tournament was “NOT” what was advertised. It was a clear “Bait and Switch” for a greater profit. I would not recommend this tournament to any team.

Mar 10, 2020
BEWARE

S.M.A.R.T.S. Softball Tournaments

“Bait and Switch”

Our girls softball team registered to play in a S.M.A.R.T.S tournament in Monroe on June 5th & 6th. The wording on their web site (smartstournament.com) says, “With top venues throughout Southeastern Michigan and Northwest Ohio”. The web site shows a picture of a great facility for the tournament. The web site also encourages hotels in the area in which our parents made advanced arrangements to stay. The cost for 4 game guarantee was a little pricey, from $365 to $440 plus a pre-paid gate fee of $195. You have around $600 invested but for a nice inclusive facility, 4 game guarantee, and posted in the rules 1hr and 45minute games it was worth it.

Then less than 2 weeks before the tournament we are notified we were switched to a small park in Temperance, Mi. Parents scrambled to change hotels as instead of being 10 minutes from the fields they were now over ½ hour away. The field we played on had “NO” outfield fence, “NO” covered dugouts, a short (less than 8 ft) wood bench. There was “NO” concession stand, and “NO” indoor restrooms as would have been at the Monroe facility. If fact there was one Porta-Potty to service the area and it was not cleaned after Saturdays games and Sunday it was overflowing (Gross!). In addition, the tournament rules were printed on the web site stating 1hr and 45 min game times. We were notified that the games were now 1hr and 10 min. When the tournament director was questioned about the rules change he said, “I wrote the rules and I can change them”.

This tournament was “NOT” what was advertised. It was a clear “Bait and Switch” for a greater profit. I would not recommend this tournament to any team.
Was there an org hosting event playing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802