Best overhand throwing basic instructions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For teaching throwing
Just a tip to communicate and connect approach~

Stepping and Weight transfer forward with arms/elbow off body is similar to doing cart wheels.

Which many kids can already do!
And is something visually others can identify with!

Enjoy!

Aug 12, 2014
Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to keep their elbows up? We do the water bottle drill and some of the other stuff from Wasserman. But a few girls always go back to dropping their elbows. These are 10-12 year old rec players.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to keep their elbows up? We do the water bottle drill and some of the other stuff from Wasserman. But a few girls always go back to dropping their elbows. These are 10-12 year old rec players.
try the AWB drill (Advanced Water Bottle drill :) ) line everyone up or by skill level or whatever and have long throw competitions at every practice and at home for some. either they will start to get the elbow aligned correctly or they'll be playing 1B or 2B. ;)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
There is a drill he does where you just start with the ball behind your head and throw, either staggered feet or parallel. Not necessarily the important part. But in that drill the elbow inherently has to be held high. With my DD i try to have her think of that drill, that feeling as she throws normally. Feel like you try to get your arm into that position on every throw. It may over exaggerate a bit, but trying to have them get to that 'ball behind the head' position is to me just like the water bottle drill. But at least gives her a focus on what and where the ball should be. She is 16 and a sophomore still with some elbow pain because of her arm motion we are trying to correct. So not saying it actually works, but i know that drill if she tries to throw full speed keeps her arm up in proper position with no pain and good speed. So just seemed natural to give the cue to get her hand/arm to that position as she is thinking during her throw.

Aug 12, 2014
try the AWB drill (Advanced Water Bottle drill :) ) line everyone up or by skill level or whatever and have long throw competitions at every practice and at home for some. either they will start to get the elbow aligned correctly or they'll be playing 1B or 2B. ;)

What is the AWB?

There is a drill he does where you just start with the ball behind your head and throw, either staggered feet or parallel. Not necessarily the important part. But in that drill the elbow inherently has to be held high.

We've done this one a bit but maybe I need to do it more.

Thanks for the replies!

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
What is the AWB?
apparently a bad attempt at humor. seriously, though, it's maxing out the water bottle drill by getting them to throw it as hard and as far as they can. I make it a competition at times. it forces the hand and elbow to come up. shot put throwing is a tough habit to break.

We've done this one a bit but maybe I need to do it more.

Thanks for the replies!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802