Best infield glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2020
DD has an A2000 and hates it. Crazy stiff despite using it for a year and breaking it in as best as she and dad could. Suggestions for another infield glove that is a more tactile?

Sep 19, 2018
What do you mean by more tactile? How old is she? What have you done to break it in? My dd is 12, I bought the glove when she was 11. Her A2000 was 7- 8 months old when her gamer broke and she was forced to use the new glove. Until that point, she would only use the new glove when we had a catch or worked on the side. Never in practice because she did not want balls popping out of her glove in front of the team.

It took about two weeks of practice and 2 tournaments and her A2000 was (in her mind) ready to go.

What model glove does she have? Is it a softball glove or baseball? I find that the A2000 are definitely not as stiff a Rawlings HoH? When you ask for "best" you are generally going to get responses with gloves that are quite stiff when new.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD has an A2000 and hates it. Crazy stiff despite using it for a year and breaking it in as best as she and dad could. Suggestions for another infield glove that is a more tactile?
I noticed a lot of new gloves are incredibly stiff. Actually beyond reasonably stiff at that.

Can understand why you say the word tactile. Can feel the ball better.
Looking for something that's more of a pliable leather. not hard stiff.

Aug 10, 2020
15. The A2000 softball glove she has is still stiff despite conditioning, mallet pounding, wrapping with a ball in it, etc. and using it in games for over a year at this point. Her dad plays ball so he knows what to do to break it in, it just never got very pliable, hard for her to feel the ball in her glove to squeeze it. Looking for something a little more pliable, where you have a better feel for the ball.

Sep 19, 2018
The higher quality gloves are going to generally be stiffer (and last longer). You might want to try a Rawlings Ready 2 Go glove which comes with a lot of factory break in. It also has a more narrow opening for teenage hands. You could always go with a lower quality glove like an a1000.

Dec 5, 2017
Allstar has some good options. Got one for my dd, it was very stiff at first but broke in nicely. She is very small, with small hands and didn't have too much trouble with break in.

Apr 20, 2015
How old is your daughter. I’m 10u it took an entire year of practice and games to break in our first A2000. That one finally was retired last year in 2nd year 14s. Next one only took a few weeks but we did have Schmicks’s gloves work on it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2019
California
My DD has had good success with Easton Pro baseball gloves. They are firm enough to know they will last, but not too stiff that it takes forever to break in. Their softball gloves get floppy too fast. Here is a 12" kip glove:
Amazon product ASIN B089N9CBVY.
The 12" color is all tan like the left-handed version shows, not like the right-handed picture shows. My 13 yo DD currently has the 11.75" version of this kip glove. The wrist opening is smaller than other glove brands and fits females well. The kip leather is also lighter in weight vs. steerhide.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
From my experience, A2000's aren't any easier or harder to break in than any other premium glove. DD has used wilson for 4 years now, I've used Nokona's and a Rawlings HoH (all of our gloves are good to go in 4 weeks for her and 1 for me)

If you want to go premium, get a Rawlings HoH with the slim fit (pedroia??) The one difference that I've noticed is the lack of a heel pad and the way slimmer palm of the Rawlings. That probably would help your need for "feel". Good luck

My DD has a a2000 Sierra Romero model 12in. She plays middle infield no issues with it in the 3 years shes had it well worth the money. They are stiff just have to work em with the glove hammer and lots of catch. Invest in one of these when she is done using the glove wrap this around it works great keep the shape and pocket of the mitt it's neoprene and has a pouch for the ball to go in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-141629_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-141629_Chrome.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 45

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802