Best Ideas for breaking in new glove quickly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Some great specific advice to the A1000 given above. My .02 are to go easy on the oil, paly catch with it as much as possible, keep working the hinges and massaging it and when not in use keep it wrapped with a ball inside.

Agreed. Go easy on all the oils and creams.

You simply need to spend hours tugging and pounding on it. Really work it hard and you'll break it in no problem within a week. I got my DD's A2000 catcher's mitt ready in a week. Probably 4-5 hours in front of the TV roughing it up.

Apr 9, 2020
wehen we needed to break in new gloves. one was a2k, and one was custom Rawlings we initially left it our training facility where her fielding coach would use it to play catch with her lessons during the week and also useto catch with pitching machine for few rounds and then once malleable gave back to daughter to finalize the break in to her own hand specific

Nov 18, 2015
wehen we needed to break in new gloves. one was a2k, and one was custom Rawlings we initially left it our training facility where her fielding coach would use it to play catch with her lessons during the week and also useto catch with pitching machine for few rounds and then once malleable gave back to daughter to finalize the break in to her own hand specific
She didn't have any issue with the hand / finger stalls being stretched out?

May 6, 2015
just be careful, DD does not let any male coach put her mitt on, she/we do not want finger stalls stretchted out. when I work on it, I use tip of pinky and tip of thum about 1 inch into the ends of the mitt, that is all.

Jan 7, 2020
I did not use oils or creams, but I did work my DD's HofH Rawlings catchers mitt over with a 45 pound rubber weight plate. I would drop the side of the plate onto the glove from a few feet and let the weight of the plate and gravity works its magic. I would then put a ball in the pocket and set 5-6 plates on top (at nights) of the glove to help create the pocket and folding spot. It was actually very broke in within a week

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yeah, I'd personally never do this, DD's glove, DD's hand! But if it worked out great, good deal!

Some people make breaking in a glove seem like some kind of unimaginable chore!

Jan 27, 2021
Yeah, I'd personally never do this, DD's glove, DD's hand! But if it worked out great, good deal!

Some people make breaking in a glove seem like some kind of unimaginable chore!
It’s cause u and schmicks!!! Reading you all’s posts is intimidating to say the least! After 7min of looking at yall's Info and knowledge base I begin to feel bad about all my past glove abuses

May 28, 2019
I broke in my dd's rawlings hoh mitt with the rawlings hot glove treatment. Foam up the glove and you place in oven for 3-4 minutes. Did it 3 or so times. Really helped instantly get this glove going enough to start working it more by usage. Not all are a fan. You can go conservative with the heat temp and/or time listed on directions but i was happy with results. We'll use Nokona conditioner constantly keep it fresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802