Best Ideas for breaking in new glove quickly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2020
For the record, the 2 products I recommended in this thread are not just for breaking the glove in but for keeping it game ready.

Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative is a beeswax based product that will preserve and protect the leather from scuffing, tearing, absorbing sweat or any of the chemicals used to quick dry the fields, protects the glove from sun fade and even protects the stitching holding the leather together while helping the leather repel dirt without weighing the leather down.
It does make the leather soft and pliable which makes it beneficial to breaking in the glove but it's certainly not something you put on the glove for the purpose of breaking it in

Fiebings Golden Mink Oil is what I apply inside the hand and finger stalls and on the binding. The mink oil is used because it will waterproof the hand stalls and binding preventing your darling daughters sweat from soaking in to the glove and then cracking and drying the leather as the sweat dries in her bag. Also, the Fiebings will fight the bacteria that grows in that sweaty salty hand stall while it sits in darling daughters bag.

I have worked on gloves for 20+ years and have been around both baseball and fastpitch gloves used at the highest travel, college and professional levels. Make no mistake, the girls gloves are far nastier than the boys gloves. Darling daughter may not have sweatier hands than smelly son does but it's how the players wear and care for the gloves that makes the difference.
Girls stick their hands farther in to the glove than boys do, that leads to more palm inside the stall and more sweat from that palm.
Girls also wear their gloves tighter....and it's not just the velcro straps on the wrists. When fitting players for gloves the girls will almost always ask that the wrist is laced so tightly that the glove is attached to their arm. This also leads to more sweat inside the glove and less taking the glove off between pitches.
On top of those fitment differences, walk around a few travel ball tournaments and see the difference between boys and girls and their gloves. Boys will have their gloves on their heads or in their hands or in a mesh bag attached to the outside of their bag while they walk from field to field or to the car/bus after games. Girls will have their phones in their hands and the glove is at the bottom of their back pack with helmets and cleats and jackets or whatever else on top of them.

I have rarely had to deodorize male players gloves but will often have to with the female players gloves because of these differences. So any time someone asks me what to put on their glove, whether it's to break in or just maintain I recommend these 2 products. Then every few months you'll want to clean the hand stalls and reapply to keep the hand stalls from cracking or stinking

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I though you were using Ball Players Balm Cleaner and their Pro Glove Conditioner?

Just gave the DDs HOH a full cleaning and it's in the process of drying. Conditioning is tomorrow since she has a rare day off and I can work on breaking in her PRO1000 with her. @ANNASDAD you answered a question I was going to ask; no conditioner on her 1000 to help break it in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
@ANNASDAD you answered a question I was going to ask; no conditioner on her 1000 to help break it in.
Yep, I’d break it in dry, if anything maybe just a very thin coat of Obenauf’s on the inside palm liner to seal it from sweat and moisture. And I mean thin!

ALSO, KEEP YOUR HAND OUT OF HER GLOVE!! ;) Needs to mold to the shape of her hand! Also put the Obenauf’s on the heel opening binding and heel lace, any place a sweaty glove hand would continually touch.

Nov 8, 2020
I though you were using Ball Players Balm Cleaner and their Pro Glove Conditioner?

Just gave the DDs HOH a full cleaning and it's in the process of drying. Conditioning is tomorrow since she has a rare day off and I can work on breaking in her PRO1000 with her. @ANNASDAD you answered a question I was going to ask; no conditioner on her 1000 to help break it in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I do use the BPB products but as you can not find their conditioners or cleaners in stores and as it's a bit pricier to buy online I often refer the more readily available and less expensive products that work very well.
Also, I dont use the BPB Pro Glove Conditioner inside the hand stalls or on the binding and the BPB Game Ready Conditioner I don't use much at all because it leaves the glove tacky and with so many FP gloves being lighter in color, you may not want something sticky on your glove

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812