Best and easiest Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Seems like the screwball is getting a lot more attention these days? (thanks Smitty...high and inside, gotta be a screwball right?) Wasn't there a thread on here where $$$ was offered if someone provided actual video evidence of this pitch?
Tatonka, I'm not going to tell you again: that is 2 Time Olympic Gold Medalist Michele Smith!! Say it right or don't say it. :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I thought it was just a 2 seam FB with run.

I have seen and talked with a pitcher who’s screw did have the desired break of a screw.

She only threw 53 and relied on spin and movement. She said her shoulder was all messed up because it’s easier to let it fly compared to relying on spin movement. She was a returning D1 freshman. Who did extremely well her freshman year.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My DD gets some crazy movement on her two-seam fastball, but goes in the "curveball direction". Would be much cooler if it went the other way.
Here is another science paper on it. For my DD, it is the spin that Boardmember spoke of in his IR in the classroom post where it is 2 seam instead of four. It is 12-6 spin but yawwed slightly to the right coming off the pitchers hand. Think of a plane that goes straight but is angled slightly to the right. With it yawwed to the right from a pitcher point of view, the seams on the left are more out front and the seams on the right are more to the side. Per the article below, this creates that turbulence on the right side and 'pulls' the ball into the turbulence. Your DD may not have the same seam orientation or spin.

The plane goes straight but is pointed a bit to the right. If you have ever flown and had a rough landing, sometimes this is what you feel coming in. Not fun.
1632166764257.png

like this but i think she has 3 fingers on the ball and they are over the seam where the thumb is at to get more grip.

1632166514400.png

https://www.baseballaero.com/2019/02/17/the-theory-of-seam-controlled-wakes/

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My DD gets some crazy movement on her two-seam fastball, but goes in the "curveball direction". Would be much cooler if it went the other way.
Have her switch her two seam grip from index and middle to ring and middle. If that doesn't change things then start adjusting the grip to one side of seams, to on the seams, to the other side of the seams. If the spin is correct grip changes will affect the direction of the break.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Here is another science paper on it. For my DD, it is the spin that Boardmember spoke of in his IR in the classroom post where it is 2 seam instead of four. It is 12-6 spin but yawwed slightly to the right coming off the pitchers hand. Think of a plane that goes straight but is angled slightly to the right. With it yawwed to the right from a pitcher point of view, the seams on the left are more out front and the seams on the right are more to the side. Per the article below, this creates that turbulence on the right side and 'pulls' the ball into the turbulence. Your DD may not have the same seam orientation or spin.

The plane goes straight but is pointed a bit to the right. If you have ever flown and had a rough landing, sometimes this is what you feel coming in. Not fun.
View attachment 23895

like this but i think she has 3 fingers on the ball and they are over the seam where the thumb is at to get more grip.

View attachment 23894

https://www.baseballaero.com/2019/02/17/the-theory-of-seam-controlled-wakes/
There are now more than 60 posts in this Baseball Aero thread, some of the later research is fascinating, especially when they start using the machine to shoot balls with different seam orientations.

Oct 4, 2018
Have her switch her two seam grip from index and middle to ring and middle. If that doesn't change things then start adjusting the grip to one side of seams, to on the seams, to the other side of the seams. If the spin is correct grip changes will affect the direction of the break.

Interesting...

I think we can try this. She's just turned 12, so we haven't done anything much with finger pressure. But I like the thought and I think it's time to try it.

Jul 22, 2015
Interesting...

I think we can try this. She's just turned 12, so we haven't done anything much with finger pressure. But I like the thought and I think it's time to try it.
Read my earlier post (#13) and give that a shot also. It was very natural for my dd and worked very well. Don't have to worry as much about where the pressure is, just finger position at release.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812