Best and easiest Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Some pitchers completely change trying to throw a screwball. That’s not what I’m looking for. I want to know the best.

Any video of a really good screwball?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Seems like the screwball is getting a lot more attention these days? (thanks Smitty...high and inside, gotta be a screwball right?) Wasn't there a thread on here where $$$ was offered if someone provided actual video evidence of this pitch?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
+1 for Sluggers response. The best 'screwball' that I have seen, is the 2 seam 'fastball' with the Boardmember 6-12 yawwed spin that breaks down and in to a RHH. My DD hates the feel of it in the grip but when the air flow over the ball is just right, it really is a fun pitch to watch.

Sep 19, 2018
Without getting into semantics, of what to call it. You are looking for something to run in on the hands of a righty. The only pitcher I know that throws that calls it a 'screw ball'. She does step left and throw right. It is not a full blown break, but definitely inside tailing like a baseball pitcher would get with a two seam fastball. Her motion changes enough that she looks funny throwing it.

cmn

Jan 6, 2018
In my opinion the best way is to change the angle as in the step left throw right thing - slightly though, as to not tip the batter, then play with the seams and finger pressure to get the ball to move. Depending on her spin rate and axis you may find some very interesting things. For instance, my DD's 2-seam inside to a righty breaks back toward the plate and the 4-seam breaks down and in. She uses the 4-seam for swing and miss, and the 2-seam for the olé called strike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478