Batting Philosophy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
My idea was to get BR on. then lots of ways for them to advance and even score (PB, WP, FC, errors, sac fly, sac bunt). but if no one is on base, that easy pop up to CF can do nothing, that would be WP/PB is not even noticed in the score book, no reason for most batters to bunt, etc.

not saying put your best hitter down deep in the order. best combination of OBP and speed would still be first, then one of top hitters by average, then hitter with most power (provided they make a decent amount of contact, even if they hit a lot of deep fly balls that get caught). then you apply the same criteria to whomever you have left. rinse and repeat.

Also, I say this all the time and stick to it, big innings normally start in the bottom of the order.

Jun 4, 2019
I’ve gone strictly money ball. Rank your hitters top to bottom and bat them 1,4,2,5,3, 6-9.

we’ve had a few d one level talent at the high school level and I would always question why they were batting third. It was amazing how many times at the end of the game the game ended with them in the on deck circle. I finally talk the head Coach into moving them up to second, but he would never pull the trigger and have her lead off.

On my travel team I do not overthink it. My best hitters her at the top of the lineup. I look at OBP but also quality at bats.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Also, I say this all the time and stick to it, big innings normally start in the bottom of the order.

Well, sure. When the crappy 8 and 9 batters miraculously get on, then your best 5 hitters coming up next will cause a big inning.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
This does not make any sense. So you are saying put the sure out earlier in the order? And that somehow gets the sure out fewer times at the plate? Or somehow gets the top of the order more at bats?
OK, I'm not getting deep in the weeds here but I use my #9 spot as a second leadoff hitter. It often extends the inning. Or, #9 leads off, gets on, and now I have more options with top of the order. Personal preference based on experience is all.

May 21, 2018
OK, I'm not getting deep in the weeds here but I use my #9 spot as a second leadoff hitter. It often extends the inning. Or, #9 leads off, gets on, and now I have more options with top of the order. Personal preference based on experience is all.
Is your name Tony LaRussa? He used that philosophy with cardinals for a bit. Numbers wise, it worked out almost the same as batting the pitcher last, but that's how he liked doing it.

May 1, 2018
So I do it this way:
#1 OBP
#2 OBP
Best Average high OBP
Most power .... or extra base hits
Second in Extra Base hits
lead off 2.... High OBP
repeat

Oct 4, 2018
Is your name Tony LaRussa? He used that philosophy with cardinals for a bit. Numbers wise, it worked out almost the same as batting the pitcher last, but that's how he liked doing it.

It can also demoralize a 12 year old girl if she's batting 9th. Gotta be real careful and explain to her (and probably her family) why you're doing it.

Oct 14, 2019
nearly every explanation i see above is based on the flawed premise of leadoff hitters and setting the table. that only happens once a game. the lead off hitters in the remaining innings will be random. the last thing you want at the end of the game is to have your 8-9 hitters start the inning and then have your “speed” batters at 1-2. Often that’s a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802