Batting Philosophy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I have no problems hitting a good batter last. Many times she will be at or near the top of the order for that inning. And many times they will be the bridge from the lower part of the order to the top to keep an inning going.

Jan 3, 2021
In my opinion the perfect 1 and 2 are speedy slappers with a high obp and batting average, 3 should be a good all around hitter with good power, good contact, and decent speed, 4 should be you best pure power hitter that has the highest batting average, 5 should be your 2nd best pure power hitter with the 2nd best batting average, 6 can either be a good average hitter or a slapper with a decent obp or batting average, 7-8 should just be your next best hitters, and 9 should be a speedy slapper that has got a good obp or batting average (preferably your 2nd or 3rd fastest player and they’ll preferably have a batting average over .300)

That being said if I’ve got a girl with an insanely high batting average, not a ton of power, and decent speed then I’d probably bat her 1st or 2nd if she’s got a better average than the 2 slappers

Oct 14, 2019
Alabama batted Hemphill 2nd this year. Oklahoma batted Jennings 1 and Alo 2. All power hitters.

Apr 20, 2015
Well our team definitely doesn't fit anyone's mold...lol. lead off homeruns are great is the motto in our book. Best hitter leads off , gets the most a bats, 2nd hitter is steady eddy not flashy, not fast but just the kind of kid that gets the job done, 3rd is pure power, 4th is great combo of speed average and power makes a great 2nd lead off on the rare occasion that we go 1-2-3 but can 2 out hit as well, 5 is power but can lay down a bunt like nobody's business, 6, 7, 8 and 9 depend on who's pitching and catching that game but a combination of average and slappers usually and oh that #1 home run hitter sure does increase her rbis batting in 7 8 9 ....lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
The beauty of these threads is that if they go long enough you will have all possible combinations accounted for.

That should tell you something right there...

Oct 4, 2018
I like groups of 3 or 4

each group is constructed like

a-decent combination of OBP and speed
b-good BA, can lay down bunt is desired
c-hits for power

rinse and repeat based on what you have left.

of course you adjust to what you have , but this generally will get baserunners on and knock them in. and try to avoid wasted half innings where you look at your lineup and realize you have low odds of pushing a run across based on who is up 1-3 or 1-4 that inning.

I'm a firm believer that this is simply over-thinking it and is less effective.

Oct 4, 2018
Alabama batted Hemphill 2nd this year. Oklahoma batted Jennings 1 and Alo 2. All power hitters.

Exactly.

Look at what good teams do. The best batters at the top of the lineup. They get more at bats per game and per season. Simple as that really.

May 6, 2015
Exactly.

Look at what good teams do. The best batters at the top of the lineup. They get more at bats per game and per season. Simple as that really.
yes, but those great teams also have pretty good hitters 1-9, they are much less likely to repeatedly have half innings be done after the same 3 or 4 batters. that makes a difference.

coaching mid level TB sometimes needs differeent strategies than high level P5 college ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee