Batting Philosophy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD was lead-off the majority of last season on her TB team. Not particularly fast or a slapper but she could put the ball in play and was top BA. We had a girl that started slapping midway through the season and she would bat 2nd. DD also had the most runs on the team so the rest of the order did a good job of getting her in so I guess it worked out. I'm not sure what her coaches saw early on to decide she should be lead-off. This is the only team she's been on that used her that way.

Oct 14, 2019
In my opinion, it is an easy answer. Put the best BA/OBP hitters at the top of the order to get them more at bats. The concept of putting non power hitters at the top as table setters is flawed in my opinion because it only happens once in the game. In the next at bats, it will be random who your leadoff hitter will be. And if your weakest hitters are at the botton of the lineup you are bound to have a longer stretch of non power hitters at bat.

Oct 4, 2018
Our HS team has an average runner that can hit at leadoff (she is a good baserunner). Two can fly and great bunter (lead team in batting average). Question, we have a lot of power hitters but thinking about putting one of our better hitters for average at the 3 hole (she is our ace and we can run for her), Do you think putting the pitcher that can't run up top is a good move since you can run for her?

That does seem like an opportunity. If the pitcher hits well and gets on base, but is slow... yes, take advantage of the rules and get her on base often and run for her every time.

Oct 4, 2018
In my opinion, it is an easy answer. Put the best BA/OBP hitters at the top of the order to get them more at bats. The concept of putting non power hitters at the top as table setters is flawed in my opinion because it only happens once in the game. In the next at bats, it will be random who your leadoff hitter will be. And if your weakest hitters are at the botton of the lineup you are bound to have a longer stretch of non power hitters at bat.

Exactly.

I've seen so many games end when the #1 batter is up in the bottom of the 7th (or whatever inning the last at bats are) and they get out on a wimpy infield grounder. Hey, but they're fast.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
That does seem like an opportunity. If the pitcher hits well and gets on base, but is slow... yes, take advantage of the rules and get her on base often and run for her every time.
Hits a lot of doubles. Our 4 will be the 3 or 4 also and can crush. Have 3 more that hit 6 or more HR’s and not sure if we should hit them 5,6,7 or move catcher to 3 and go 4,5,6

May 6, 2015
I like groups of 3 or 4

each group is constructed like

a-decent combination of OBP and speed
b-good BA, can lay down bunt is desired
c-hits for power

rinse and repeat based on what you have left.

of course you adjust to what you have , but this generally will get baserunners on and knock them in. and try to avoid wasted half innings where you look at your lineup and realize you have low odds of pushing a run across based on who is up 1-3 or 1-4 that inning.

May 17, 2012
I like groups of 3 or 4

each group is constructed like

a-decent combination of OBP and speed
b-good BA, can lay down bunt is desired
c-hits for power

rinse and repeat based on what you have left.

of course you adjust to what you have , but this generally will get baserunners on and knock them in. and try to avoid wasted half innings where you look at your lineup and realize you have low odds of pushing a run across based on who is up 1-3 or 1-4 that inning.

That reminds me of a high school coach who batted his second best hitter 8th. Her justification is that the second best hitter should be the "second cleanup hitter".

You can't even make this stuff up.

May 6, 2015
That reminds me of a high school coach who batted his second best hitter 8th. Her justification is that the second best hitter should be the "second cleanup hitter".

You can't even make this stuff up.
my first group of three would be the best at that role in the lineup.

"best hitter" is a very subjective, what are you rating based on, avg, power, obp, rbi, etc. a power hitter with no so great average can still do a lotta damage if you can get people on base ahead of them. by same token, great hitter for avg but not a lot of power is pretty useless if they are stranded at 2nd or 3rd a lot. use the strengths of your hitters to complement one another, rather than just go 1-9 or 10 based on a single number comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101