Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Should the foul ball chalk line touch/ meet the box on the corner of the box, slightly down the side or top?
Seen it all 3 ways.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is a good picture. Goes a little bit down from corner.

(I have striped more fields then I can count. I do not think I ever put in the C's box. :))

Nov 18, 2015
Variation may be due to the template available at the field.

USSSA says the front of the box is 4 feet forward of the center of HP (as shown above).

OBR (2017) says the front of the box is 3 feet forward of the center of HP.

And once again, I've learned something new by reading the rules - OBR (baseball) sets the width of the batters box at 4'. USSSA (and I assume, all the other SB orgs) have the box as 3'.

1627581042675.png

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am watching PGF now and the foul line run right into the corner of the box in irvine and a little into the side of the box in HB????

May 29, 2015
@Gags -- baseball boxes and softball boxes are very different in size. That's one reason playing on a turf baseball field (such as the Olympics are doing, although they did fix theirs) is usually a headache. The painted boxes are incorrect for softball

I'll add ... it is EXTREMELY rare to find boxes that are actually correct and set six inches away from home plate.

Mar 1, 2013
]I'll add ... it is EXTREMELY rare to find boxes that are actually correct and set six inches away from home plate.
Realistically, it's usually guys who are placing the lines and, well, you know how we like to say something is bigger than it is

Oct 24, 2010
Variation may be due to the template available at the field.

USSSA says the front of the box is 4 feet forward of the center of HP (as shown above).

OBR (2017) says the front of the box is 3 feet forward of the center of HP.

And once again, I've learned something new by reading the rules - OBR (baseball) sets the width of the batters box at 4'. USSSA (and I assume, all the other SB orgs) have the box as 3'.

[snip]

Baseball batter's boxes are 4'x6'. Softball boxes are 3'x7'. Both set the back line 3' from the mid-point of the plate. (That puts both front corners of a softball box in fair territory.) The inside line is 6" from the plate.

The boxes tend to get worse throughout the day at most tournaments.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee