Batter Runner Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I got to watch this a 2nd time on GC (awesome feature being able to find and see at bats so easily)
On ball 4, she turned and dropped her bat towards the dugout (we were 3rd base side).
When she turned back and started towards first base, that is when there was contact with the Catcher.
She backed away into the box, then when the screaming started she backed away further (like a batter would on a passed ball with a runner on third).
She did not interfere with the catcher making a play on the 3rdBase runner scoring. 3rd base runner slid into home by the time the Catcher received the throw home and the now batter runner in no way hindered the catcher from catching and or tagging the runner.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Anyone who has read my posts, knows that I am not a proponent of MSU, and try to apply the rules as written. When I said "fairest" it is acknowledging that both teams did something wrong: The defense threw to second when there was no possibility of an out there, and the offense created contact with the catcher during that ill-advised throw (Note that I am not calling it interference).

Where I disagree with you is that the offense did nothing wrong here. The BR was legally going toward first base. That's what she's supposed to do. The catcher created this entire situation. The offense did not create the contact. The defense did.

This is 100% on the defense.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
IMO
1. The batter-runner has no 'right' to first while interfering with the defense. After ball 4, she is no different that a runner from 1st to 2nd and cannot get in the way of the defense making their play.
2. It is really hard to tell from a textual description, but the umpire has to take intent into account*. If the runner deliberately tried to get in the way of the catcher, then interference is likely appropriate. In most ball 4 calls, the runner takes a second to listen for affirmation before dropping her bat and then running. I'd be really interested to see how that batter handles ball 4 without any runners on.
3. Technically, it is illegal for the catcher to throw to any player except the pitcher unless a play on a runner. In this case, you could argue that the catcher was wrong (although as other's commented that is a strerch too far)

End of the story, I think TMIB is right - the catcher made a throw that was not an attempted out - no interference. Sounds like a little bit of a trick play by the offense which the defense fell for.

*- One training video this year showed a RH batter trying to bunt with the runner at first was trying to steal. The bunter stumbled into the area in front of home plate and disrupted the catcher's throw. It looks innocuous until they show you the previous pitch/bunt attempt where the batter doesn't get close to getting in the throwing lane.

Hold on now. #1 doesn't make a lot of sense.

A runner who is not out is never, ever required to get out of the way of a fielder making a throw. If a runner is running from 1st to 2nd, she doesn't have to avoid a throw. A fielder has to work around her.

I don't see how this was a trick play. Runner was off on the pitch, there was a walk, and the catcher screwed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog