Batter and runners think it’s ball 4

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2023
Definitely an "everyone should know the game situation" here. I love that Rolling Hard has a practiced defense for this. It's frustrating as an ump watching the "cheap" bases/runs because of something that is not specifically against the rules,
You don't see these kinds of antics much above community 16u because they frankly don't work against well trained teams.
I knew there wasn’t an issue when just 1 player didn’t know the count. Either the runner advances or the batter runs out of the box but this was a first where everyone was somehow on the same page and the runners advanced and the batter ran out the box. I guess the defensive coach only has the scoreboard operator to blame for having the wrong count up.

May 18, 2023
@marriard Love to see coaches shoot themselves in the foot s blatantly 😂. And I would guess the only real issue would arise if the batter interfered with the catchers throw when crossing in front of the plate.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Lesson 1: Never trust the scoreboard.

This type of thing happens fairly often (2-3 times a year) in our 13u league. It's 13u rec with lots of new or basically new players.

I would never coach this to happen, but if our girl does it when we're on offense, my coaching is "go back go back go back AHHHHH OK RUN RUN RUN" once it's apparent we might get a stolen base out of the situation.

If it happens to us on defense, it's an opportunity to remind players they always need to know the count and game situation. "Know your job. Do your job. Don't let someone else's mistake cause you to make one."

Jul 31, 2019
Fortunately I have never had to make the call myself, but both times it was called interference by the batter (note not batter-runner) and the batter was declared out (runners all return).

I can see an the idea of calling it on the coach or using an unsportsmanlike justification and perhaps calling runner closest to home out, but since this is a batter action (even it was coached), then it makes sense to me at least to call it there.

Not aware of a case ruling - hope there isn't one. Hopefully this remains truly rare bush league behavior.
Bush league yes, unsportsmanlike no way. Runners advance with SB, batter returns to finish the at bat.

Jul 31, 2019
So is the old trick play where the catcher comes out like she’s throwing to second base but throws hard back to the pitcher (with a runner on 2nd base), and the SS, 2nd baseman and CF act like the ball went through and into the OF. Baserunner thinks it’s in the IF and takes off to 3B only to be easily thrown out by the pitcher. Is that unsportsmanlike?

May 29, 2015
So is the old trick play where the catcher comes out like she’s throwing to second base but throws hard back to the pitcher (with a runner on 2nd base), and the SS, 2nd baseman and CF act like the ball went through and into the OF. Baserunner thinks it’s in the IF and takes off to 3B only to be easily thrown out by the pitcher. Is that unsportsmanlike?

If the SS or 2B fake a tag during that, it is obstruction.

I am sure opinions may vary on this, but I would venture to say it isn't great sportsmanship, but I wouldn't put it at unsportsmanlike. Throwing the ball away is within the purview of the game. A batter intentionally trying to draw a play when they have no legal right to run is not.

Why even send the batter to the box? Why not just have her run straight from the on-deck circle to second base?

I won't use terms like deceive or fool ... as somebody will say a curveball is meant to fool or deceive the batter ... I will apply the standard of "is it reasonable within the spirit of the game?"

Jul 31, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting the tactic, I just don't believe there is a rule that would provide the umpire the ability to return the runners.

Jul 31, 2019
If the SS or 2B fake a tag during that, it is obstruction.

I am sure opinions may vary on this, but I would venture to say it isn't great sportsmanship, but I wouldn't put it at unsportsmanlike. Throwing the ball away is within the purview of the game. A batter intentionally trying to draw a play when they have no legal right to run is not.

Why even send the batter to the box? Why not just have her run straight from the on-deck circle to second base?

I won't use terms like deceive or fool ... as somebody will say a curveball is meant to fool or deceive the batter ... I will apply the standard of "is it reasonable within the spirit of the game?"
There are no fake tags, everyone just reacts like the ball was overthrown into the OF. I've seen it done twice, one time it worked, the other it did not. BTW, it was not me running it either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom