Bats that sting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD has been hitting some machine leather balls that sting her hands severely when using her Xeno but not when using her Easton Mako.

With regular balls, no real sting at all, but makes me wonder -- Does one bat sting more than the other because they're made differently, and that's just the way it is, or could it be that one has a little crack or weakness in it? Xeno is a year old, at least.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A multi-piece bat should sting less than a one piece bat. The connection between pieces acts as a "shock absorber" of sorts....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It could actually be either, or possibly both. DD refuses to use any Easton because every model she has tried has stung her hands while hitting with one. On the other hand, this is a girl that has grown up a metalhead and transitioned into a one piece composite. When her current one piece composite starts to sting her hands while hitting, it's time for a new one. Invariably I, or the factory can find a crack and/or dead spots.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If its stinging a lot, I would tend to think something isn't right.

One piece bats are going to have the most sting if not barreled up. As JAD said, multi-piece bats
are made to have that connection point to absorb some of the sting. Some bats absorb more
vibration than others.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, helpful answers.

So, we've got 2014 Xeno and 2016 Easton Mako.

These are both multi-piece bats, right? I'm thinking maybe the Xeno has a problem. It's kinda old anyway.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
OK, so I assume there is no reason for one to sting more than the other, unless one has a problem.

Are the handles/grips the same? Is it possible she is not getting the same grip on the Xeno than she is on the Mako?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Are the handles/grips the same? Is it possible she is not getting the same grip on the Xeno than she is on the Mako?

The Xeno actually has an extra layer of grip on top of the original that is used to wrap tennis rackets, so you'd think that would limit the sting. Otherwise, it's same handle/grip that came with the bat.

I'll also note that it stings only from machine pitch. Not 'real' pitching. Not sure why that is.

Oct 10, 2011
Once broken in, DD thinks her Makos have the least sting. It could be that the composite just gets softer and/or that the Mako, given the same listed weight, actually weighs more- that can make a big difference in feel at contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13