Bat question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2018
Ran across this a few weekends ago. There was a bat that had electrical tape wrapped around the rubberized connector, not just a stripe, it was multiple wrappings. Is this legal to be used and any idea why someone would do it?

It struck me as odd because it's a bat I know does not come with a black connector and I casually took a look.

In the end the batter did use the bat in a game but was not a consequential at bat.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
My dd last Ghost Advanced wobbled more than a bobble head doll. maybe they were trying to stop the wobbling? or perhaps the outside part of the rubber connector was ripped in some way?

Mar 1, 2013
The tape cannot be more than 15" from the knob. Sounds like this was higher than the handle and on the taper. I wouldn't allow it.

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting you say this. We played a team from VA last weekend (we're from GA) and they all used Ghosts. And about 8 of them had black tape in various places near the connection. I wondered if it was legal and wondered what it was for.

Mar 1, 2013
Interesting you say this. We played a team from VA last weekend (we're from GA) and they all used Ghosts. And about 8 of them had black tape in various places near the connection. I wondered if it was legal and wondered what it was for.
Hard to say. Could be for identification purposes, but it's not allowed. It's one of those "degrees of wrong" things people argue. Either it's legal or it's not. It may be nitpickey, but I've seen bats tossed for having vinyl decals used for identification purposes up on the taper. Specifically taping around the connector on a two piece bat makes me think the bat is broken and this is an attempt to fix it. Toss the bat.

Oct 4, 2018
Hard to say. Could be for identification purposes, but it's not allowed. It's one of those "degrees of wrong" things people argue. Either it's legal or it's not. It may be nitpickey, but I've seen bats tossed for having vinyl decals used for identification purposes up on the taper. Specifically taping around the connector on a two piece bat makes me think the bat is broken and this is an attempt to fix it. Toss the bat.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was illegal. By the time I noticed we were up 8-0. :p

May 29, 2015
Going to be the contrarian again ... I do not see a rule prohibiting this in NFHS or USA. USSSA is questionable, but still not clearly illegal.

It isn't grip, so it isn't subject to the 15-inch limit.

USA says:
Approved bats shall be considered altered if they are rolled, shaved, repainted, weighted or modified to change their characteristics from that produced by the manufacturer. Identifying the bat by means of laser marking, engraving, or painting the name or number of the player will not make the bat an altered bat.

NFHS doesn't really say much either, except that electric tape cannot be used as grip ("no smooth, plastic tape"). NFHS says an altered bat is: "A bat that was once legal, but has been structurally changed including, but not limited to: shaving, rolling or artificially warming the bat barrel."

Here is what USSSA has to say about foreign substances:
No bat is legal for USSSA sanctioned play, if there is a foreign substance on the barrel or taper of a baseball or softball bat. Foreign substances included among other substances, pine tar, stick-em type products and even dirt or mud, but only if the substance adds to the thickness of the barrel or covers Key Graphic Information such as the USSSA 1.20 BPF mark, the serial number of the bat, the model or manufacturer name, official softball, etc..

That said, I agree that I would assume it is covering up damage that would make it illegal/a damaged bat.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Could that of been a way for them to tell them apart?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
From all that is written, it doesnt say anything is wrong with tape there. It could also be there
to keep the rubber piece from tearing. Somebody may have told them this dumb advice.
They could also be reading too many forums and looking under the rubber piece too much and
causing it to get damaged instead of hitting and not worrying about it...haha. Never know with people.

There is nothing "helping" the bat from putting tape there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802