Bat Plane - True or False

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2020
The plane/direction of the bat in motion has no bearing on the direction in which the ball travels after it's hit; the direction of the ball is determined entirely by where (on the ball) the bat makes contact.

Similarly, the plane/direction of the incoming ball has no bearing on the direction in which the ball travels after it's hit; the direction of the ball is determined entirely by where (on the ball) the bat makes contact.

Apr 11, 2015
True and false?

True - where the bat/ball make contact upon one another ultimately determines ball flight...direction and elevation.

False - the direction(s) from which the bat and ball travel will ultimately determine how they'll meet one another at contact.

May 12, 2016
The plane/direction of the bat in motion has no bearing on the direction in which the ball travels after it's hit; the direction of the ball is determined entirely by where (on the ball) the bat makes contact.

Similarly, the plane/direction of the incoming ball has no bearing on the direction in which the ball travels after it's hit; the direction of the ball is determined entirely by where (on the ball) the bat makes contact.
Bat path and pitch path both make a difference to resulting path when you square the ball up... everything else is game of angles. However some bath paths will help you achieve the angles you are seeking

Aug 20, 2020
True and false?

True - where the bat/ball make contact upon one another ultimately determines ball flight...direction and elevation.

False - the direction(s) from which the bat and ball travel will ultimately determine how they'll meet one another at contact.

The planes/directions of the bat and ball might limit the specific locations on the ball where they might meet, but do they have anything to do with the direction of ball flight after contact?

May 12, 2016
Played ball with a couple guys before;

Player A, muscle bound freak, athletic, strong as an Ox, exaggerated uppercut swing
Player B, Athletic, same height, small build, 50lbs less than player A, relatively level swing

When player got a pitch low in the zone(drop ball off-speed) with some arc and he connected out front. Absolute moonshots over the fence. Everything else was topspin which makes since for an uppercut swing

Player B hit backspin line drives that did not hook or slice. when he connected his HRs seem to carry forever, hit the ball further than player A by quite a bit.

Edit: Like Eric just posted above

Apr 11, 2015
The planes/directions of the bat and ball might limit the specific locations on the ball where they might meet, but do they have anything to do with the direction of ball flight after contact?
Sorry, I'm not really understanding the question.

But if I'm understanding it correctly (at least my interpretation of it), I think that I'd still say "yes", simply because I've seen plenty of balls slice, hook, knuckle, or fly start after contact, and I'd say that that has to be a result of the two paths of the bat and ball intersecting from different locations/directions.

If that wasn't the case, and we said it was all simply what happens at contact determines it...how would we account for the various things that happen with a ball in flight after contact.

Aug 20, 2020
Sorry, I'm not really understanding the question.

But if I'm understanding it correctly (at least my interpretation of it), I think that I'd still say "yes", simply because I've seen plenty of balls slice, hook, knuckle, or fly start after contact, and I'd say that that has to be a result of the two paths of the bat and ball intersecting from different locations/directions.

If that wasn't the case, and we said it was all simply what happens at contact determines it...how would we account for the various things that happen with a ball in flight after contact.

What I'm asking is whether the following scenario is true or false:

If you find the exact point that the bat makes contact with the ball, and then, starting at that point, draw a line through the center of the ball and then out the other side of the ball, the initial direction of the ball flight will be along that line, regardless of which direction the bat and ball were moving at the time of contact.

Is that true or false?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812