Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

This video at 1:11 is still interesting in his visual on how to drive the ball to right. Even though it looks like he is trying to explain how he swings, there is no way possible that he keeps that barrel path that he shows at 1:11. He shows 'down to' then levels and swings flat. I can't imagine he actually thinks he swings that way, and to talk about 'feels' when it sounds like he is trying to explain 'reals' is odd. i know this has already been discussed as far as what they say and what they do, but just another example.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This video at 1:11 is still interesting in his visual on how to drive the ball to right. Even though it looks like he is trying to explain how he swings, there is no way possible that he keeps that barrel path that he shows at 1:11. He shows 'down to' then levels and swings flat. I can't imagine he actually thinks he swings that way, and to talk about 'feels' when it sounds like he is trying to explain 'reals' is odd. i know this has already been discussed as far as what they say and what they do, but just another example.

i was more intrigued by his thought to hit it ‘here’ and ‘there’. The approach SHOULD formulate the movements. ‘With 2 strikes I’ etc. etc.

Get the head out or delay release. A lot of kids train one path only which is usually ‘oppo’ which turns into a pushy, steep path, slicing balls to CF and Oppo field only. Pulling the ball before 2 strikes and more so in a leveraged count/situation should be taught more at the lower levels. That to me is an ‘aggressive’ hitter, not swinging hard or faster. Yes there is a risk/reward.

my entire point is work versatility/adjustability.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019

I heard Kevin Youkilis on his podcast say almost exactly what you said. That when he didn’t think hit down on the ball to impart backspin that he tended to pop the ball up, be late and underneath it. He acknowledge that that’s not how he actually swings, but instead what he has to cue himself in order to hit effectively.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I heard Kevin Youkilis on his podcast say almost exactly what you said. That when he didn’t think hit down on the ball to impart backspin that he tended to pop the ball up, be late and underneath it. He acknowledge that that’s not how he actually swings, but instead what he has to cue himself in order to hit effectively.

Yeah, its a matter of controlling when you release the barrel imo. Swinging up will cause an earlier release immediately. Can really only hit the ball at one contact point. The hands can’t adjust to a change of speed bc they’re already released earlier to the fast ball. You can’t adjust out front.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee