Bat length question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
I just don’t really understand why you have to swing a longer bat when your 5.3.
DD stopped growing at 5' 5" when she was 13. Her freshman year she learned that a couple local HS umps were notorious for calling outside pitches strikes, even pitches in the opposite batters box. Her coach told her "don't leave it up to the ump" meaning hit your pitch before the called third strike off the far side of the plate. But she took his instruction quite literally and switched from a 32 to a 34 so she could reach any pitch this side of the chalk in the other batters box. With practice she learned to put a charge into any pitch over the imaginary 25 inch wide plate. In a perfect world she should not have needed to go to this extreme but she embraced the challenge and she told me many times she really enjoyed taking control of her at-bats from the notorious umps.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
DD stopped growing at 5' 5" when she was 13. Her freshman year she learned that a couple local HS umps were notorious for calling outside pitches strikes, even pitches in the opposite batters box. Her coach told her "don't leave it up to the ump" meaning hit your pitch before the called third strike off the far side of the plate. But she took his instruction quite literally and switched from a 32 to a 34 so she could reach any pitch this side of the chalk in the other batters box. With practice she learned to put a charge into any pitch over the imaginary 25 inch wide plate. In a perfect world she should not have needed to go to this extreme but she embraced the challenge and she told me many times she really enjoyed taking control of her at-bats from the notorious umps.
Until posting actually never really thought about using a longer bat to help cover the plate. I'm 5.7 on a good day and used a 32 inch bat in college. Hugged the plate. I have always believed some of the swinging issues that we see is because kids go to a bat that is to long and heavy for them to early. I have coached mostly boys and minus 3 bats for an 11 year old is tough for some. Minus 3 is our MS rules in the league my son plays.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
Yep, I share your concern with swinging issues caused by a long and/or heavy bat too early. DD was fortunate to be very strong as a freshman and she had learned how to use her legs and core to power her swing so switching to a 34 wasn't a big adjustment. But for average to small players that kind of switch is a big ask. I usually don't recommend smallish players switch to a 33 or 34 unless I see them consistently put their legs and core into their swing.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Just an opinion. I'm not sure going longer and heavier is a fix for any hitter. Too long and you lose barrel control through the zone, along with the added weight potentially dropping bat speed. Just size it appropriately, and be sure to have accurate plate presence to cover the outside corner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802