Bat Knobs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have known for a while now that Pete Alonzo of the NY Mets uses a bat with an axe handle knob. While watching their game today I'm pretty sure I saw teammate Mark Canha with the same knob. In the same game I saw that Jeff McNeil of the Mets and Paul Goldshmidt of the Cardinals had bats with knobs that are noticeably smaller in diameter but longer. McNeil chokes up a lot so knob style and size may be meaningless. But that brings up the subject of choking up. I have swung an axe bat and the knob seems to delay the moment that you have to roll over. Choking up seems to have a similar effect for me. And as long as I am on the topic of grips has anyone ever experimented using a golf grip where the bottom hand thumb is this on the handle in the palm of top hand ( no pinky over or inter lock)?

Dec 19, 2021
And as long as I am on the topic of grips has anyone ever experimented using a golf grip where the bottom hand thumb is this on the handle in the palm of top hand ( no pinky over or inter lock)?
You may be talking about a 10-finger grip. Like a baseball grip but with the thumb along the shaft under the palm instead of around the shaft. I did that for many years before going back to interlock. I can release better with the interlock, so less (ahem) fade...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom