bat grip thickness

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2020
my daughter is constantly working on her swing with her coaches and on her own. fortunate to have surrounded her with team of people that truly have her best interest at heart. one of her coaches noticed that she has some tendency to roll over (mostly when her head pulls out ) but she thinks that maybe a thicker grip on her bat may help keep hands in the appropriate position and limit rollover, she also uses a precut thumb for 2 years which has really made her more consistent. the rolling over is not habit mostly at the end of 200 swing session. so we just wrapped her practice bat again ( pro cut and amount of swings eat through grips) with the lizard skin 1.8 thickness she used the 1.1 previously. will post back any findings if different but would love insight if the thickness would make a noticeable change. she is graduating high school this spring and playing next year d1...

Jun 8, 2016
my daughter is constantly working on her swing with her coaches and on her own. fortunate to have surrounded her with team of people that truly have her best interest at heart. one of her coaches noticed that she has some tendency to roll over (mostly when her head pulls out ) but she thinks that maybe a thicker grip on her bat may help keep hands in the appropriate position and limit rollover, she also uses a precut thumb for 2 years which has really made her more consistent. the rolling over is not habit mostly at the end of 200 swing session. so we just wrapped her practice bat again ( pro cut and amount of swings eat through grips) with the lizard skin 1.8 thickness she used the 1.1 previously. will post back any findings if different but would love insight if the thickness would make a noticeable change. she is graduating high school this spring and playing next year d1...
Not sure if that will help but what I will say is she is probably tired after 150+ swings. Granted my kids are younger than your DD (11 and 5) but I usually limit the number of swings to no more than 100 or so. I think hitting more often with less swings is more beneficial tbh. Of course your kid is playing D1 so what the heck do I know ;) . Also when I was a kid I didn't take my own advice and would probably take more swings than 200 every day in the summer :cautious:

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Personally, I wrap the 1.1 over the original drip and love it. DD used to like it as well but now has gone back to the single 1.1 grip. (16U) I feel like the thicker grip keeps my hands more loose on the bat in general.

Apr 9, 2020
Not sure if that will help but what I will say is she is probably tired after 150+ swings. Granted my kids are younger than your DD (11 and 5) but I usually limit the number of swings to no more than 100 or so. I think hitting more often with less swings is more beneficial tbh. Of course your kid is playing D1 so what the heck do I know ;) . Also when I was a kid I didn't take my own advice and would probably take more swings than 200 every day in the summer :cautious:
There are no wrong answers this is forum to ask and seek advice . If I relied on one way or the highway I would be out of Business .. good luck to your girls in all they achieve

Apr 9, 2020
In no way did I mean any negative thoughts .. I truly appreciate your response but you said “what do I know” ? I value all oinions and in no way meant any disrespect .. we all can learn from each other and if it helps anyone that’s awesome .. sorry If any misunderstanding

Jun 8, 2016
In no way did I mean any negative thoughts .. I truly appreciate your response but you said “what do I know” ? I value all oinions and in no way meant any disrespect .. we all can learn from each other and if it helps anyone that’s awesome .. sorry If any misunderstanding
Yeah I deleted my post..I read your post the wrong way initially :cautious:..my apologies.
Back to the original question, I think bat handle thickness is just a personal preference. I always liked a thinner handle but that was just me.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Depending on the brand I always put 1.75mm or 1.8mm on all the bats I regrip. My daughter also likes that it helps with the sting in case of mishits.

Apr 9, 2020
Depending on the brand I always put 1.75mm or 1.8mm on all the bats I regrip. My daughter also likes that it helps with the sting in case of mishits.
Prior to this time she liked 1.1 tgis was first time 1.8 so we will see if she notices difference in bat control and feel .. unlike when I played aluminum pipe painted with black electrical tape lol

Jun 26, 2021
Adjusting the grip thickness on her bat is a valid strategy to help maintain proper hand position and limit rollover.
The thickness of the grip can influence how the bat feels in the hands and how it affects the player's swing mechanics. By using a thicker grip, it can potentially provide a more secure and comfortable grip, allowing her to better control the bat during her swing. This, in turn, may help her maintain the appropriate hand position and reduce the tendency to roll over.

Nov 3, 2022
DD prefers the 0.5mm. No taper. Normal to above average size hands. Just what she likes. Hitting great. Just a feel preference. I don’t think any grip tape size affects performance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12