Base Line to First Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 11, 2015
I am not saying that the throw was not made, it WAS made, but it was delayed due to the runner being out of the RL. Why is this different than the throw hitting the runner? The runner affected the throw. This in turn affects the ability of the fielder to take the throw.

How do you know that is what caused the fielder to delay? You can say lots of things. Shall we also call the runner out for running to fast out of the lane because it causes the catcher to rush the throw and throw it wild which in turn effects the fielder at 1st? You can do this cause and effect thing for lots of situations. Maybe she didnt have a good grip on the ball. Maybe she wanted another slide step to get momentum. This is not how it is applied. You dont look at something and connect it 2 steps away.

The case book has a situation that says if a runner gets hit before the 30 foot mark then it is not RLI so you would say if she does get hit after the 30 foot mark then it would be RLI. Thats why people are talking about if the runner gets hit by the ball.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Yes the casebook says exactly that, and it conflicts with The Man In Blue's interpretation (the fielder needs to be directly affected). The rule also states "In the judgment of the umpire". RLI calls are nearly always 'had to be there' plays and it is up to my judgment why the C may have delayed her throw. The root of the question is this, if the delay in the throw (and the throw is subsequently made and is a 'quality throw') is judged by the umpire to be caused by the runner being out of the RL, is it RLI?

Jan 11, 2015
I just dont see how you can say if a catcher delays her throw because she is out of the line is RLI but if the catcher throws it around the runner or over her head is not RLI. Based on your cause and effect linkage thing. Catcher has to throw high over the runner because she is out of the lane, therefore it effects the fielder because she has to jump up for the ball.

The rule isnt meant to be applied like this. It is very simple, you dont assume why they delayed, you dont assume why they threw it wild or high. Can the fielder at first catch the ball when it is thrown. It is that simple and easy. People talk about the throw being good because if the runner wasnt in the picture, the fielder wouldnt have caught the ball anyways if the throw was over her head.

This is how the rule is taught and suppose to be enforced

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I am not disagreeing with any of this. I am not saying that if the throw was catchable, but for the runner interfering with the throw, that it is not RLI. If the runner caused the throw to be off target AND is out of the RL (the throw cannot be 10 feet over the 1B head and end up in RF) I have RLI. The question is this, if I judge that the delay in the throw is caused by the BR being out of the RL, AND the throw is made and is "JUST THAT SPLIT SECOND" late, is it RLI? I am not arguing that it is or is not, I am asking for thoughts on whether or not it can be RLI and the reasons it can or cannot.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Catcher has to throw high over the runner because she is out of the lane, therefore it effects the fielder because she has to jump up for the ball.
Are you saying that in this situation, if the throw that was high or to the side, and was caught by the 1B but pulled her off the bag, that you do NOT have RLI?

Jan 11, 2015
No I wouldnt have RLI. The catcher throws the ball wide. You dont assume why it was wide or high. You look at the play as if the runner wasnt there. The fielder still has to jump or leave the base to catch the ball.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Then if I am a coach, I am teaching my C to throw THROUGH the runner (drill her between the shoulder blades).

(That is snark, do not teach your girls to do this)

Jan 11, 2015
I mean that is what most people do. They field the ball and just throw it to first. They dont care too much where the runner is. They just throwing to the base and if it hits her then it hits her

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad