Barely Any At Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
And if your lead off doesn't? I'm truly interested in your and @JayW 's thoughts on this. Would you prefer to have your second best OBP player up or your best BA player. The only thing I will mention is that even a good hitter averages .450 at best usually. As you well know that means they strike out roughly 6 out of 10 at bats. Now we're talking 1 out with the statistical probabilty of 2 outs. Also, as you well know, when you are playing high level travel ball (and many college games), the game often times comes down to 1 run. So why not make your line-up for that? I would think (hope) that the top P5/25 college coaches would have looked at this suggested line-up and studied it some. Of course, we're still seeing some pushback on other old school thoughts soooo...
Agree the games can come down to one run, but it’s not usually 1-0 it’s usually 6-5. That’s my argument against sac bunting, especially early in games. You only get 21 outs it’s tough to give one away.

As for constructing a lineup. I believe the 2 hole is the best spot for your best hitter. It’s where Mike Trout and Jocelyn Alo hit for their teams mostly. I measure “best hitter” with the state “On Base + Slugging ” or OPS. Getting in base is more important than batting average, but what’s even more important (and you said it yourself), is that since a majority of a players at bats result in outs - it matters not only that you don’t get out, but that your hits result in runs being driven in. Extra base hits and home runs drive in more runs then singles, hence OPS.

Which brings me back to the 2 hole. That hitter will get more at bats throughout the season then everyone except the lead off which will allow them to drive in more runs. Because they are in an even number spot in the order they will lead off less innings which means they are more likely to come to the plate with runners on base.

Jun 8, 2016
I would think (hope) that the top P5/25 college coaches would have looked at this suggested line-up and studied it some. Of course, we're still seeing some pushback on other old school thoughts soooo...
Like somebody mentioned, OU had their two highest OPS players, Jennings and Alo, hit 1 and 2 almost all year.

Jun 8, 2016
Because they are in an even number spot in the order they will lead off less innings which means they are more likely to come to the plate with runners on base.
I don’t know if the odd batters lead off more thing would work with the WHIP you might typically see in 12u taking into account more errors as well…not sure.

If you think about it, the whole thing is based upon what is the average number of batters who don’t make an out in an inning (with the knowledge that the first batter always leads off at least once)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I don’t know if the odd batters lead off more thing would work with the WHIP you might typically see in 12u taking into account more errors as well…not sure.

If you think about it, the whole thing is based upon what is the average number of batters who don’t make an out in an inning (with the knowledge that the first batter always leads off at least once)
It may not hold at all levels, but I would guess the 1 hitter still leads off more then the 2.

Jul 6, 2021
Curious as to how your DD was chosen for the team. Did the coach have a say in the matter or was your DD just "placed" on the team (that doesn't happen much but isn't unprecedented..)? I am just trying to figure out her (misguided) motivation for doing what she is doing..
She tried out for team. Practiced with them for a week then played a friendly with them before being offered a spot.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
My 11 year old daughter in 12U has been with this team for a few months now. She is a pitcher and first baseman. She usually gets to pitch one full game during friendlies (3 games) and maybe play a few innings playing first.

But in 3 games, she is lucky if she gets 1 at bat. And while she may not be getting on base everytime during her at bats, she rarely strikes out. I texted her coach asking what she could do to earn more at bats, but the coach never responds to me, which is even more frustrating. Her coach's dad is the owner of the organization, and my daughter actually takes hitting lessons from her dad. So I can't understand why they do this. My daughter is getting frustrated and discouraged to practice her hitting when she knows she won't get any at bats. And I'm annoyed to pay dues when nothing comes of it.

And to top it off, yesterday they had 3 games, and 3 new girls that are trying out were playing with us, and they all got at least 4 to 6 at bats while my daughter only got her 1. How is this even okay?

Has anyone else gone through something similar to this? I don't know what other steps to take especially when the coach doesn't even care to respond to me.
You've done what you could. Now stop paying for a team/coach that doesn't care about you, including hitting lessons from the coach's dad. Why would you want to throw your money away by giving it to someone who obviously doesn't care and is looking to drop your daughter farther down the list by bringing in more players.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Maybe, but I doubt he is. Her lessons go really well. She has a lot of power but when you rarely get at bats, it's hard to get better.

They definitely don't do roster batting, which I cannot understand why. Tournaments I understand playing top 9, but not getting at bats in friendlies is frustrating. Especially during this past weekend when I saw girls trying out getting 4 to 6 at bats while my daughter got
She tried out for team. Practiced with them for a week then played a friendly with them before being offered a spot.
Offered a spot or handed a bill? Seems more like the latter to me.

Jun 27, 2021
Sounds like the coach is trying to make it unpleasant so she leaves based on her playing time and guest players.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28