Ball passes outfield fence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
3 scenerios that came up this weekend. Playing on field with turf and temporary fences which pretty much stopped at the foul lines.

1. Batter hits a shot down the line rolls past fence
2. Batter hits a shot down line 3B tries to catch it but it hits off top of glove and rolls past fence
3. Batter hits one down line, LF tries to stop ball hits glove and rolls past fence.

I say all 3 are GR doubles, but our AC goes nuts and says the 3rd one should be Triple because runner was already to first when ball hit the glove and should get
2 bases.

What are the calls or is it all based on local rules.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
1. Batter hits a shot down the line rolls past fence
2. Batter hits a shot down line 3B tries to catch it but it hits off top of glove and rolls past fence
3. Batter hits one down line, LF tries to stop ball hits glove and rolls past fence.
What fence? Side fence or back fence. It should have been covered in the ground rules. JMHO.

Jul 6, 2013
We had a very similar discussion on the rules board a couple weeks back. I was correctly informed (I thought as the coach on last instance), that the awarding of bases in such situations is 2 bases from location of batter runner at TIME OF PITCH, not at time of ball going into out of bounds territory.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Typically a ball bouncing over/under the temp fence is a ground rule double.

The rest depend heavily on the tourney/ground rules, and should be brought up in the coaches meeting or packet.
When it goes past the end it has usually been treated as live until it goes into something defined as out-of-bounds.
In some cases the rule has been that if the OF does not make a play(puts her hands up) it's two bases(sometimes different), but if she goes after it, it's live.

Jun 11, 2013
They went past the outfield fence as the fence only went as as far as the foul lines. On the turf it happens quite a bit. At least they put them up this year.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
These are all two-base awards, from the time of the pitch....unless...

On the ones where fielder touched the ball first, before it went out of play, you might have something different. If the ball had sufficient velocity that hitting the glove merely diverted it out of play, still a ground rule double.

But if the fielder hit the ball with enough force that it added to the ball's velocity, giving it enough extra push that it went out of play when it would not have otherwise, then it can be treated as a two-base award based on the runner's position at the time of the throw/touch. A typical example would be a ball that was slowly rolling along the field, but the fielder swats at it hard enough to knock it out of play.

That may not be what happened here, but it is something to consider when making this call.