Ball out of play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Here is one I think the umps got wrong. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, pitcher throws a wild pitch. Backstop fence has become somewhat detached at the very bottom, with the edge of it curled up. Ball gets lodged under fence, one runner scores, the other moves up. At first, umps let play stand, but opposing coach inquires whether ball should be ruled out of play, and his second runner should be awarded home. After discussions, umpires send both runners back. I think they had it right the first time with each runner being allowed the one base, as in my estimation, the ball could be considered out of play.

Thoughts?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Ball out of play would be a BS call for something like this. Literally true, but caused by maintenance issues rather than field design. Allowing runners to advance as they likely would without the ball being trapped is one thing. Enforcing that rule because the backstop is screwed up is completely bogus.

Mar 1, 2013
In softball - pitched ball out of play is one base from TOP. If it was ruled out of play there, you get one run and a runner on 3rd. If it was not ruled out of play, then just let the play stand as is, live ball and whatever happens.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The fence issue is something that should have been discussed during the pregame meeting. Maybe it's my familiarity with playing on bad fields, but we always ask what happens when in situations like this.

Seems like calling it out of play is fine, which would be a one-base advance. If you let the play stay live, that might also be fine, but I don't see why you send the runners back after the fact.

Mar 1, 2013
The fence issue is something that should have been discussed during the pregame meeting. Maybe it's my familiarity with playing on bad fields, but we always ask what happens when in situations like this.

Seems like calling it out of play is fine, which would be a one-base advance. If you let the play stay live, that might also be fine, but I don't see why you send the runners back after the fact.
We have a backstop like this at one of my local fields. This past season, one of the coaches took to storing the backup catcher's gear bag right behind the backstop at this spot. Stopped a lot of balls from going out of play. Either way, as you note, we always discussed the fence at the pre-game and indicated any ball going through is out of play and we will place runners according to the situation. Never had any arguments.

And agreed - in the OP situation there is no situation where everyone goes back. Maybe in the MSU rulebook where people just like a do over. Dunno.

Jun 11, 2013
The old saying in baseball is "1 from the mound and 2 from the field" which holds in softball. It should have been 1 base.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The old saying in baseball is "1 from the mound and 2 from the field" which holds in softball. It should have been 1 base.

I think the baseball rules are different, though in practice it all works out the same almost always on balls in play.

For a first throw in the infield: In softball, it's two bases from time of the throw. In baseball, it's two bases from time of the pitch. So in theory, if the batter-runner touches first before the infielder releases the ball, she would get third. In baseball, that runner would still only get second.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Canyonjoe is correct. Anytime the ball goes out of play from the pitcher making a pitch, it is a one base award. 2 bases any other time it is thrown out of play.

Oct 24, 2010
I think the baseball rules are different, though in practice it all works out the same almost always on balls in play.

For a first throw in the infield: In softball, it's two bases from time of the throw. In baseball, it's two bases from time of the pitch. So in theory, if the batter-runner touches first before the infielder releases the ball, she would get third. In baseball, that runner would still only get second.
[OBR] Rule 5.06(b)(4)(G) for those who want to look it up.
APPROVED RULING:
If all runners, including the batter-runner, have advanced at least
one base when an infielder makes a wild throw on the first play
after the pitch, the award shall be governed by the position of
the runners when the wild throw was made.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802