Ball hits bat twice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2022
I've got another question for you experts. This happened in our playoff game last night. The batter bunts the ball and as she's running to first out of the box, the ball clearly hits the batter or the bat. The catcher said the ball hit the bat. It looks to me that the ball hit the bat while the bat was still in the batter's hands out of the box. The home plate umpire missed it completely - she called a fair ball. The third base umpire wound up calling it a foul ball. What is the correct call?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Either way dead ball (bat hits ball twice) but, real time I have foul...super slow mo frame by frame I have out.

Looks like hit the bat second time while her foot is completely on the ground out of the box, but it is so close that real time I probably call foul.

Apr 17, 2019
Either way dead ball (bat hits ball twice) but, real time I have foul...super slow mo frame by frame I have out.

Looks like hit the bat second time while her foot is completely on the ground out of the box, but it is so close that real time I probably call foul.
It looked to me like it may have hit her leg first, I’m with you real time I’d say it’s foul.

But it’s not a dead ball all the time, if the bat is in the ground and the ball rolls into it then it’s live. If the bat is thrown into the ball it’s a dead ball and the batter is out. I’ve rarely seen an umpire get this call correct.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Batter drops bat onto bunted ball in fair territory. What are the rules that come into play?

Jul 22, 2015
In real time I feel pretty sure I'd call this a foul ball because the ball bounced so sharply straight up into the batter and/or bat, though in slow-motion her foot may have been fully down in fair territory.

As an aside, in general if the bat hits the ball (usually dropped onto the ball) you have dead ball and batter out. If the ball hits the bat in fair territory (usually when the bat is dropped and motionless as the ball rolls into it) then the ball is live.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
No way the umpire is going to see that to call it. Ball popping up right in front of plate, catcher moving up out of her stance in the way. Umpire moves to try looking around the catcher but by that time it's too late. The only thing she sees is a fair ball. Tough for field umps to see as well. Much further away and batter is between them and the ball. Happens so fast it's hard to judge if she's still in the box at the time of contact. Can't call her out if you definitely didn't see it as an out.

Thank God for the Parents' Panel. The only thing missing was John Madden with his telestrator. Doink!

Jun 11, 2013
And to the mom in the crowd saying it hit her I have the video. Unless the rule set says video review is allowed. And I don’t know one that does. Stop saying that.
She is the Dedicated Loudest Mom so has every right to say anything she feels is important. It's usually helpful stuff like "Lay off the high ones", "Throw Strikes", or "it only takes one"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478