Balance and timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I personally think this is why the mlbers practice the down swing or oppo cues that are misunderstood and is having folks filleting everything and or chopping balls into the ground etc. especially when the load early cue came along. And get your foot down early was scoffed at. As well as Josh D and his leg kick etc etc. all in my opinion of course. I think if you can Control it, great. But he has said he sits pitches, he doesn’t care if he’s adjustable to an extent. Worked out for him. kids really don’t have advanced scouting reports on pitch percentages etc. I think they should learn how to shorten up. It’s fundamental. And go from there. Anyways..
When you say "filleting" are you meaning a flat hand/barrel path?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ok, what does that have to do with loading early? Are meaning because of adjustability?

You can’t make any adjustments until foot down. It’s incredibly hard to not leak something otherwise. With that thought in mind..

If you’re at a 50/50 for all, Usually inside pitches will get on you too deep relative to timing bc the foot got down too late. So the barrel will be late. If you load late you can get the foot down earlier or later. If you load early you will get to a 50/50, the inside pitch will be good to go but the outside will be a rollover. So you load for oppo or late. And get the foot down for inside pitches so you’re on time for all. Hopefully I’m making sense to you.

Edit: this all goes out the window if you’re sitting on one pitch. Just sit on that pitch and hopefully you get it. It just gets that much tougher to do and learn that adjustability as the pitching gets better. Especially when the other team knows you and has an advanced plan on how to get you out.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
You can’t make any adjustments until foot down. It’s incredibly hard to not leak something otherwise. With that thought in mind..

If you’re at a 50/50 for all, Usually inside pitches will get on you too deep relative to timing bc the foot got down too late. So the barrel will be late. If you load late you can get the foot down earlier or later. If you load early you will get to a 50/50, the inside pitch will be good to go but the outside will be a rollover. So you load for oppo or late. And get the foot down for inside pitches so you’re on time for all. Hopefully I’m making sense to you.
So always load late for oppo but get the foot down early to adjust for inside?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So are you getting your foot down early for a fast ball away?

No. If you’re timing an outside fastball, it should be regular. Shouldn’t be an over stride. Early foot down for high and inside pitches. If your training it, throw mostly middle-outside and let your player get their timing. Then vary some inside pitches. When they’re late tell them to get the foot down earlier. Once decent at it, mix in a change up. Remind them to keep their hands up until the ball gets there. If they can’t back the ball up, gotta fix that first though. Should be able to hit to the oppo gap on middle and away pitches first.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I personally think this is why the mlbers practice the down swing or oppo cues that are misunderstood and is having folks filleting everything and or chopping balls into the ground etc. especially when the load early cue came along. And get your foot down early was scoffed at. As well as Josh D and his leg kick etc etc. all in my opinion of course. I think if you can Control it, great. But he has said he sits pitches, he doesn’t care if he’s adjustable to an extent. Worked out for him. kids really don’t have advanced scouting reports on pitch percentages etc. I think they should learn how to shorten up. It’s fundamental. And go from there. Anyways..

I think part of the shortening up is due to taking control of the zone your looking to cover.. Yea, on the chopping down.. It's all about barrel control.. Unfortunately in the past the folks who taught the "swing down to" didn't mention the shift before swinging and created a monster of abaf movements.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So are you getting your foot down early for a fast ball away?

If we are talking approach (hitting plan) that I am referring to you are moving out fb and timing middle away.. This allows you to turn on the middle in off-speed with limited adjustments (sitting action). When using this approach I typically would let the inside fb's go unless 2 strikes.

I will say this was my approach early or behind in the count.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802