Balance and timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don’t think this topic has been covered in this forum. It’s funny bc these are the pillars of consistent hitting. Anyone got a thought on how to get these things trained and or understood?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don’t think this topic has been covered in this forum. It’s funny bc these are the pillars of consistent hitting. Anyone got a thought on how to get these things trained and or understood?

WW, I have been discussing this the past 10 + years.. Guess I didn't do a very good job:ROFLMAO:

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW, I have been discussing this the past 10 + years.. Guess I didn't do a very good job:ROFLMAO:

Sorry. I just think the adjustments made to keep balanced to adjust haven’t been detailed enough. By no means am I saying that FYB or work in the s plane isn’t a requirement. I’m just getting more granular.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is exactly how to find timing and balance. How funny, just came across my feed. Understand this w a short approach and timing and balance w good movements become one.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think that balance and timing are very very intertwined in a good swing. However, in the proper sequence one requires the other, but not vice versa..

example.. If you have good timing, you can have good balance (or not). If you have bad timing, you will never have good balance.

Drill wise with my kids and the kids that I'm coaching is simply hold the swing finish for 2 secs in BP. If they can't they're not balanced. As per above, the timing might be the culprit or the swing might be too out and around (or it could be any number of other things).

I'm a big believer in balance, especially in upper age division FP softball.

Oct 2, 2017
You stated in the other thread that Leveraging late is dead. Agreed. Then you stated the alternative is to leverage early and adjust from there. Then you stated that they move out as late as possible. Then you stated a couple posts later that Foot down early is an adjustment cue. I'm not following. I could be wrong but you always seem to make statements of get foot down and leverage early as a central fact of the swing not an adjustment. If one is moving out as late as possible, to shorten the cycle of the load etc. for balance, then In my mind your not getting down early your simply getting down on time. No different that early and slow and leveraging on time.

I want to be leveraged on time every time as much as possible and adjust if required. No different than what trout did in the video of tewks. Trout did not make and adjustment on the FB by getting his foot down earlier and then change or anything with the Lob pitch. Trout simply knows his rhythm and timing of his load. He knows how to repeat it every single time. He already know what the slow pitcher was throwing and on deck or even before in the dugout, timed when to start his load timing to match contact. IMO of course

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Let’s look at Trout here in a real game situation. Courtesy of Bobby Tewks.

Foot down early for the heater. But loading late. Hence the foot down early. He’s always sitting fastball and he tries to back that ball up to a RCF approach. That’s timing. Meaning he is staying short w his swing. Not getting around it early to pull it physically. The other swing has him hit the offspeed stuff to LCF w the foot down a bit later, but stays mechanically sound w the short swing.

He backs the fastball up, that’s what oppo or RCF means. It doesn’t mean force it to the oppo side. That’s drag. It’s a timing cue. Let the timing dictate the swing. Take the same short swing with contact points that vary due to when you need to swing. Which is dictated by when you get your foot down. Hence get the foot down early is for an inside or high pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
You stated in the other thread that Leveraging late is dead. Agreed. Then you stated the alternative is to leverage early and adjust from there. Then you stated a couple posts later that Foot down early is an adjustment cue. I'm not following. I could be wrong but you always seem to make statements of get foot down and leverage early as a central fact of the swing not an adjustment.

I want to be leveraged on time every time as much as possible and adjust if required. No different than what trout did in the video of tewks. Trout did not make and adjustment on the FB by getting his foot down earlier and then change or anything with the Lob pitch. Trout simply knows his rhythm and timing of his load. He knows how to repeat it every single time. He already know what the slow pitcher was throwing and on deck or even before in the dugout, timed when to start his load timing to match contact. IMO of course
Anybody that played HR derby as a kid would instinctively know how to adjust to that. I don’t ever remember kids saying a pitcher was too slow growing up but I hear it all the time now, baseball and softball.

Oct 2, 2017
Anybody that played HR derby as a kid would instinctively know how to adjust to that. I don’t ever remember kids saying a pitcher was too slow growing up but I hear it all the time now, baseball and softball.
Just like hardly any player has a hard time syncing up with front toss timing, They can just jump in there and start hacking away. Ok, it may take 1-2 swings probably on avg. Then they have their timing.

Jun 8, 2016
Just like hardly any player has a hard time syncing up with front toss timing,
Yeah..because that is what they see. We played HR derby but we also played speedball where the pitcher would throw pinkies as hard as they could from 30 ft. Wiffle ball too…you figured out your timing or you looked like an idiot in front of your friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802