Back Up Bat Advice Request

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2019
I'm being somewhat paranoid and need some advice from all you experts! Recently moved daughter up to 33" bat. She wanted the new ghost advanced so we let her try out the 32/22 (what she normally uses) and the 33/22. She loved the -11 and has been hitting great with it (got her first dinger!) I know we are on borrowed time with it and I doubled up on the warranty but...I want to have a backup bat in the bag for when that one does break. She has a meta still under warranty that has a rattle. I was hoping to send it back and size up to a 33/22 on it but was just informed they have no plans to produce a -11 in the meta. I've looked at the bat weight database and know ghosts usually weigh in heavier than sticker weight. So, in your expert opinion, would you go with a meta 33/23 or go with a 33/22 LXT as the backup? I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting another meta because it seems just as fragile as the GA. Anyone want to ease my mind and steer me in the right direction?

May 28, 2019
Get another GA if she loves it.

I'd throw out the Marucci Echo Connect. Very durable and comes in -11. Use as cage bat and backup bat.

I'm not a fan of the LXT's. I am a fan of Meta. Haven't had durability issues yet.

May 23, 2019
I would throw them out too :ROFLMAO:. As a cage bat, yes, you could even get the older version the Cat Connect FX that you could get for like nothing.
My daughter had the white marucci and after two years and thousands of swings, I swear it hit harder than anything else I see at the tournaments to the point where parents were asking me about it. Finally got too small and we bought a power carbon from you last year. I can't find the white marucci for sale anywhere

May 28, 2019
I'm in similar boat as OP.

DD swinging 32/22 GA.
Selling all of her 31" bats.
I have no backup 32" bat. Really might go straight to a 33" bat to be her cage/backup bat so she'll learn to swing a 33" while whaling away with the 32".
Not sure what to get. Xeno's are very difficult to find. I really want something that she can hit a ton with and not be super worried about durability. We hit a good bit at home.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm in similar boat as OP.

DD swinging 32/22 GA.
Selling all of her 31" bats.
I have no backup 32" bat. Really might go straight to a 33" bat to be her cage/backup bat so she'll learn to swing a 33" while whaling away with the 32".
Not sure what to get. Xeno's are very difficult to find. I really want something that she can hit a ton with and not be super worried about durability. We hit a good bit at home.
The best cage bat for durability is the Anderson Rocketech -9. I feel it's a great overall bat for power hitters, but the complaint girls have is it is very stiff. You need to be strong to make it fly off the bat, but the ball explodes off the barrel if you're strong enough. It's also inexpensive compared to the other big-name bats. The Anderson will be overweight, so a 32-23 will weigh probably 24 ounces. My daughter played with two girls this fall who used the 33-24 size Rocketech at the 16U level, and they had more home runs than anyone else on the team by a large number.

I can also get you the Xeno at a price you won't be disappointed with. PM me.

Jan 24, 2020
If you are looking for a bat that is purely for cages (all weather, can take a ton of abuse, not going to put a hole in the wallet) find an old metal bat. Cage work is to develop and reinforce mechanics. A crappy bat will provide ample feedback, the smaller the sweet spot the better! The key is to get something that won't screw up her mechanics (too heavy/light, too long/short) and have at it. DDs cage bat cost $45 new, and has endured several years of dimpled balls and being left in hot cars. Still sucks when she hits a ball off the end or the handle, just like it is supposed to. When she switches to live hitting/games, she feels great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802