Back stretching assistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My youngest turned 12 not too long ago and gets a ton of training and swings in between dance and softball. She has had a bunch of muscle tightness and pain off and on the past few weeks after workout sessions, big muscles flowing up from lower hip to shoulder blades...You can feel them being tight/knotty currently... We started to ice and ibuprofen and mixing in theragun, but I'm not sure if any here have really solid stretching advice prior and post practice, outside of the simple historical stuff. Any solid targeted stretching advice for these muscle areas?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My youngest turned 12 not too long ago and gets a ton of training and swings in between dance and softball. She has had a bunch of muscle tightness and pain off and on the past few weeks after workout sessions, big muscles flowing up from lower hip to shoulder blades...You can feel them being tight/knotty currently... We started to ice and ibuprofen and mixing in theragun, but I'm not sure if any here have really solid stretching advice prior and post practice, outside of the simple historical stuff. Any solid targeted stretching advice for these muscle areas?

Also consider the activity of growth plates opening. Stretching can really help!

Jan 25, 2022
Sounds like you're referring to the spinal erectors/paraspinal muscles. You can google specifics for those and the others that are directly connected with them in movement.

Yoga was mentioned above. It's good for eveyrthing, and helps balance out strength so you dont have weak places in the chain of movements. Weak spots strain quickly and can have chronic inflammation as a result--it's the source of most back pain. A massage gun used gently could also be beneficial.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Sounds like you're referring to the spinal erectors/paraspinal muscles. You can google specifics for those and the others that are directly connected with them in movement.

Yoga was mentioned above. It's good for eveyrthing, and helps balance out strength so you dont have weak places in the chain of movements. Weak spots strain quickly and can have chronic inflammation as a result--it's the source of most back pain. A massage gun used gently could also be beneficial.
Been a mix of stretching more, message, ice, ibuprofen and theragun.

Nov 18, 2015
What kind of dynamic warmup are they doing before practice and dance?

Also look into using heat as an option rather than ice, unless there's actual swelling that's causing the pain.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
What kind of dynamic warmup are they doing before practice and dance?

Also look into using heat as an option rather than ice, unless there's actual swelling that's causing the pain.
A bunch of different stretches...I truly think it's a growth kick about to take off. I may mix the heat in as well and mix back and forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802