Back Pick's YES! or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
DD doesn’t attempt a lot of picks at 3B. It has to be an almost guaranteed out. Even a good throw can hit the runner and cost a run. It’s not often an umpire will call the out for runner being in fair territory when hit by the ball. If you do hit the runner on the pick, always try to sell to the plate umpire that the BR was in fair territory. 😉

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Totally depends on the game situation. Saw a school ball team a couple of years ago lose two games when the catcher attempted to back pick a runner at 3B and threw the ball into LF. In neither situation was the runner taking a particularly aggressive lead and in both situations, the team had two outs.

I agree with Jdaddy that back picking a trail runner is often extremely effective.

Any throwing errors can be costly!
However still have to throw to get outs!
Trust your defense!
Or dont and let runners advance.

Catchers back picks & defense can help a struggling pitcher!!!

story example

Couple years ago at pgf Premier Nationals. Teams competing on Sunday. Many games under their belt in the previous days getting to play offs day.

With bases loaded and two outs the pitcher was being put through the grinds. Throwing to intense batters with great swings. Umpire with a tight strike zone.

Rather than battle through the number four hitter. First pitch catcher fired back pick to 3rd.
Got the out retired inning.

Two innings later.
Same situation.
Think it was #2 or #3 hitter.
Back pic to 3rd.
Got the out retired inning.

Control the game!

Btw
My philosophy is
"Control the ball to control the game."
That means control the ball
On offense and defense!

If cannot trust a player to throw the ball, they should not be on the field!
( think of an outfielder who has the ball and holds it....little kids everyone yells throw it. Throwing is a skill set and a game reaction instinct comes next)
Players need to learn their role. Throwing is part of every game!

Think of young developing players.
Or playing a competitive team who are going to push limits.

In each case players need to learn to tackle a situation. Believe in themselves. Know they have a responsibity on the field.
Grow to the level needed to win.
Go for it.

In either case.
Not going for it stops growth,
By limiting potential.

That said
Strategies, phylosophys
and talent, ( & developing talent)
Are what make competition fun!

LET'S THROW RUNNERS OUT!!!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The defense needs to be developed & train back pick's
Notice at young age's this training tends to take a back seat ;)

How about this....
Do see this happen,
Certainly you'all have as well.
When runners dont steal.
So no opportunity to throw out
runners stealing.

:) Brings up BACK PICK'S again!
Gets an out. And/Or
Holds runners close to the bag.
Creating more double play opportunities!
And/Or
Less extra base runners advancing.
( think of outfielders throwing to a base instead of cut offs.
When coaches know outfield is going to get outs at bases. It generally changes aggresive base running)
Catchers can have same affect!

Go defense!

Go Catchers
Go Catchers
Go Catchers
Bring them stories........

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I like throwing behind the runner at first when you dig one out of the dirt. Baserunner is looking to see if the ball gets past the catcher. Maybe leaning a bit. Immediate throw to first.

May 6, 2015
Totally depends on the game situation. Saw a school ball team a couple of years ago lose two games when the catcher attempted to back pick a runner at 3B and threw the ball into LF. In neither situation was the runner taking a particularly aggressive lead and in both situations, the team had two outs.

I agree with Jdaddy that back picking a trail runner is often extremely effective.

yeah, generally with two outs, unless P is struggling, I tell DD to get the batter, unless runner is taking real aggressive leads.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is my favorite back pick by DD. It was in a 3-0 game her sophomore year of HS against one of our big rivals. Bases loaded, two outs, walk off back pick. No one expected a pick at 1B with a left handed batter. Ignore the loudmouth in the background. 😉

Your daughters enthusiasm is great!
Apparently it runs in your family.....

Nov 18, 2015
DD doesn’t attempt a lot of picks at 3B. It has to be an almost guaranteed out. Even a good throw can hit the runner and cost a run. It’s not often an umpire will call the out for runner being in fair territory when hit by the ball. If you do hit the runner on the pick, always try to sell to the plate umpire that the BR was in fair territory. 😉
Maybe I'm missing something, but what difference does it make if the BR is in fair or foul territory on a thrown ball?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28