Babe Ruth Rules.. All players must play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2021
Hey Everyone.

My daughter plays travel and rec for a babe ruth league. We had an team with a shady coach play us last night. He did not play 2 of his girls. They actually left crying. Obviously this should not happen when playing in a REC league. However, I am just looking for the official rules. Can anyone point in the right direction?

Also, the umpires didn't show last night so we didn't have them as a resource.

Jan 22, 2011
Looks like rules are an $8 ebook. Your coach should have a copy of the rules. I believe Little League has minimum playing time in their rules, but for most USA softball based rec leagues, it's a local rule. Spending about 10 minutes googling I can't find anything about Babe Ruth minimum playing time rules.

Jul 14, 2018
I’ve managed in both Babe Ruth and Little League. I don’t recall there being any rules about everyone playing in Babe Ruth. Taking a quick look at GameChanger, we definitely played tournament trail games that not everyone got into.

In Little League, there is a rule about everyone getting into the game. If I remember correctly, teams that carry 13 players on their roster are allowed free substitutions, but everyone has to enter the game at some point.

*eta: The Little League rule applies to district and state tournaments. So there’s no rule I know of requiring that everyone play in a regular weeknight Rec game, but any coach who can’t manage to get playing time for all of their players in a regular game isn’t worth the bucket they’re sitting on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I believe the "encourage" you to play everyone and you certainly should, but not sure it's a requirement like it is in LL.

Sep 8, 2015
There is no minimum play rule. Like stated above, we “encourage” all of our coaches to play everyone and do their best to sit them equally. We have had very few issues with coaches in the several years I’ve been on our local board. We have District house rules that require everyone bats durning the regular season. Pitchers are limited to X amount of innings depending on divisions. Free substitution.

Coaches can and have been disciplined.

When Allstar trail starts, the rules are more strict. You are not allowed to bat your entire Rosters and there is no minimum play rules. Substitution rules are in effect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28