awesome pitcher...or was she?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
ASA tournament today, we saw one of the best pitchers we've ever seen. Kid had crazy movement, pinpoint accuracy, and was throwing 61 mph on average. In the middle of the game following the thrashing they put on us (10-2), someone says "man that rubber seems really close", after a time out to measure, turns out the rubber was sitting at 40'... Lol! It was like that for 3 and 1/2 games! No wonder that pitcher seemed unhittable! :)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have heard of the opposite happening when the rubber is to close. The ball trails a lot at the end of the pitch, minus the 3 feet you have fast strikes with kids scratching their heads wondering why they have no movement.

Feb 7, 2013
You should get in the habit before every game walk off the distance. It only takes a few seconds but you would be amazed at how many time the distance is wrong.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not distance related, but I saw a masterpiece today too. ( 18u ) First game we faced a pitcher who worked N-S pretty good avg 64-66 but only threw a few CU. We won 8-1 and had 13 hits. Next game pitcher worked E-W topped out 62, but mixed speeds the whole game between 62-50. We lost 5-0, only got 3 hits. This is a pick up team for us, so I don't know them too well, but that second pitcher had the whole lineup off balance. She was a pleasure to watch.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You should get in the habit before every game walk off the distance. It only takes a few seconds but you would be amazed at how many time the distance is wrong.

At 43' the pitching rubber should line up between 1st and 3rd. Home to 2nd is 86'.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I know, your right. I should have checked first, and I usually do. In fact I have a small measuring wheel in the team bag, but it never saw daylight yesterday... I'd like to watch this kid pitch from 43', just to see what kind of movement she's got with that extra 3', because even at 40' her curve was breaking out around 4-5"

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Not distance related, but I saw a masterpiece today too. ( 18u ) First game we faced a pitcher who worked N-S pretty good avg 64-66 but only threw a few CU. We won 8-1 and had 13 hits. Next game pitcher worked E-W topped out 62, but mixed speeds the whole game between 62-50. We lost 5-0, only got 3 hits. This is a pick up team for us, so I don't know them too well, but that second pitcher had the whole lineup off balance. She was a pleasure to watch.

Been telling pitchers to change speed constantly from one pitch to the next forever. But my advice can only be 'Trickery and gimmikry' according to many on this little board. Guess that young pitcher proved those folks wrong. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812