Auburn Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Watched the Auburn v Missouri game. Any thoughts from the catchers out there on the Auburn catchers style. She seemed to me to have an excessive amount of body movements behind the plate which seemed like it would make it difficult for the umpire to call close pitches and might be losing her pitcher some strikes….but I have no experience with catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I didn't see the game, but I suspect this tweet was related...

Gwen knows a little about catching.

There is a well-known catching instructor who teaches a style that involves a lot of movement. It looks exciting, athletic, and dynamic. That movement also irritates some umps. My preference is for the quieter style that my DD learned. That said, my DD's catching instructor (Janelle Lindvall) was the predecessor to Svekis at Oregon, and both were under the guidance of Coach Jimmy Kolitas.

Apr 20, 2015
As a fan I found it extraordinarily irritating. I’m sure umpires might feel the same lol.

I’ve complained to my DD about her all season. She’s like a person whose drank 18 coffee energy drinks. All over the place. This week during one of their games the announcer even said “the catcher didn’t do the pitcher any favors”.

Dec 11, 2010
She’s the one that leaps up and points at the batter when she wants the plate ump to ask for help with a check swing right?

I really did not care for that. Neither did the 9 foot tall Mizzou hitters.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
She’s the one that leaps up and pints at the batter when she wants the plate ump to ask for help with a check swing right?

I really did not care for that. Neither did the 9 foot tall Mizzou hitters.

Ha ha yep

Feb 15, 2017
Watched the Auburn v Missouri game. Any thoughts from the catchers out there on the Auburn catchers style. She seemed to me to have an excessive amount of body movements behind the plate which seemed like it would make it difficult for the umpire to call close pitches and might be losing her pitcher some strikes….but I have no experience with catching.

I'm not a fan of the glove slap and them sliding to the other side of the plate. All you're doing is letting the batter what side if the plate the pitch is going to be on.

As an umpire it is hard to get in the slot when the catcher is always moving, and you're also getting more exposed to foul balls.

As an aside is this supposed to be a superior way of presenting the ball?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28