Are the announcers not permitted to call out the coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
JOHNN, have you ever touched a runner in a game? I have when the runner tripped and I was simply trying to prevent the crash and burn. I was not thinking since it happened so fast and my runner was called out. That should have been an out.

Im not in any way saying it shouldnt be an out bc clearly its against the rules and when noticed it results in an out. Heck I even mentioned to my wife that they got very lucky that somehow the umps missed that call before they showed the replay.

I was merely mentioning that what he did wasnt what I would call "holding" a runner. Probably just more of a matter of semantics on my part as Im not trying to start an argument since I do agree that it was a blown call that should have resulted in an out.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Gags, in my experience, and maybe my experience is totally different than anyone else's experience, touching that player in any manner while the player is running on a live play is physically assisting. It doesn't matter whether the player appeared to be stopping. Of course, like most things, this is as much my opinion. If possible, it would be nice if multiple umpires can weigh in on this.

Aug 8, 2020
JOHNN, have you ever touched a runner in a game? I have when the runner tripped and I was simply trying to prevent the crash and burn. I was not thinking since it happened so fast and my runner was called out. That should have been an out.

My understanding is It’s only an out if the touch aids the runner in anyway, either a push forward or helping them stop etc …that contact did neither

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2016
Fortunately, it didn't affect the outcome. And, those FSU players should have held and 2 and 3 saving 2 outs and a banged up player at home. I understand aggressive base running, but FSU seemed to assume Oklahoma would mess up a standard play.

Jul 22, 2015
My understanding is It’s only an out if the touch aids the runner in anyway, either a push forward or helping them stop etc …that contact did neither

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was very clear he was attempting to stop the runner, which I would definitely consider aiding or assisting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28