Are Leaders Born Or Made?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2020
You can only pick one! I wrote a blog post around this super interesting debate the other day and I want to know what you all think about that question, how it relates to softball, and why you think one way or the other. So, are leaders born or made?...

Apr 25, 2019
In terms of softball.....made. My DD has always been smart, funny, personable, etc. She is in student council and has been asked to do speeches and presentations for her school and such. However, in softball, it wasn't until Jen Schroeder at one of her camps told my DD what was expected of her as a catcher. Since then, she has taken that advice and ran with it. She has become the vocal and emotional leader of her team.

Aug 2, 2019
I think mostly born. Of course, you can learn leadership skills, but some kids will gravitate towards leading, and others toward following.

Jan 8, 2019
Yes.

As in all things, some people have skills that are inherently easier to develop than others ("natural abilities"), but in the end, any skill left undeveloped will wither and die, or at least never fulfill its potential. Growth mindset is a tenet of any skills development.

Apr 22, 2020
In terms of softball.....made. My DD has always been smart, funny, personable, etc. She is in student council and has been asked to do speeches and presentations for her school and such. However, in softball, it wasn't until Jen Schroeder at one of her camps told my DD what was expected of her as a catcher. Since then, she has taken that advice and ran with it. She has become the vocal and emotional leader of her team.
Thats awesome! Jen is a really great example and she does a great job teaching young girls to be strong, be leaders, and be confident. And as a former catcher I can say that ESPECIALLY as a catcher you more than any other position have to command the field and be leader. All of those out of softball experiences like joining clubs, giving speeches etc will help TREMENDOUSLY in gaining confidence. Im a big believer that if you want to be confidence doesn't just come from the field, you have to develop that skill in as many aspects of your life as you can.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think they are born with it. Watch a group of 6 year olds. It probably won't take but a few minutes before you can see the leadership traits. Those kids that listen to a coach tell them what's expected probably had those skills but weren't sure how to use them. This seems more prevalent when a catcher is on the younger side of her teammates and begins to show more as she gets older.

May 17, 2012
If you have 10 natural born leaders and they play a team with 10 natural born leaders is there some sort of super leadership explosion during the game?

Talent wins 9 out of 10 times in competition.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Leaders are Born....then gradually over life put in situations were they can sit back or step up. Some do it vocally. Some to it physically by leading by example.

Apr 17, 2019
If I have to pick one... Made. Through experience and confidence gaining, not going to a seminar or even an MBA program. (though it certainly helps to have been born with some charisma and wit.)