Anyone witness any "Hissy Quits" this summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Yeah...that's not a good look no matter how you spin it. Too easy for people to notice and then start telling stories on DFP and elsewhere. Don't give them a reason. :censored:

I don't know. Kid may have had an appointment. May have been late for work. OP didn't know the kid, so he doesn't know either.

I look at it and say they had a kid for a weekend and into bracket play, so five, maybe six games. She played a couple of innings, had a few at bats. It doesn't appear they went out of their way to make her feel included or a part of the team -- by the original admission, she was just insurance in case an attending player couldn't play. Don't know what other promises were made, but if she just packed up her stuff, sounds like she didn't even have a jersey.

DD has guested for teams where she wasn't included in the team picture after the tourney, so I can understand a kid who doesn't feel used or included leaving, especially late in an elimination game. when she's been sparingly used all day. Like you all said, not a great look, but neither is recruiting a kid to just sit around for two days.

Feb 20, 2020
Sorry your DD didn’t enjoy the experience.

She had a great time. But she was never part of the team, didn't get a medal, wasn't in the team picture. And she even played all day on Sunday because one of their regulars got hurt, made a couple of key plays to help them advance to the semis. But she wasn't part of the team and the team treated her that way.

That's not the point -- you've got a guy calling a guest player a damn quitter for leaving at the end of an elimination game, when the guest player -- who was invited -- barely played all weekend and wasn't playing in the game in question. All I was suggesting that maybe the blame for this behavior isn't with the kid, but with the team who made her feel like leaving was an okay thing to do, because she wasn't a part of them anyway.

I don't know why people expect respect or loyalty from people they show none to. And I feel that's appropriate here because one of the parents of said team was fine with calling her a quitter without knowing anything beyond the fact she left. The decent thing to do when a kid helps you out is to thanks them. They did you a favor. But certainly not to be angry with her for not being a part of a team she's not a part of.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't know. Kid may have had an appointment. May have been late for work. OP didn't know the kid, so he doesn't know either.

I look at it and say they had a kid for a weekend and into bracket play, so five, maybe six games. She played a couple of innings, had a few at bats. It doesn't appear they went out of their way to make her feel included or a part of the team -- by the original admission, she was just insurance in case an attending player couldn't play. Don't know what other promises were made, but if she just packed up her stuff, sounds like she didn't even have a jersey.

DD has guested for teams where she wasn't included in the team picture after the tourney, so I can understand a kid who doesn't feel used or included leaving, especially late in an elimination game. when she's been sparingly used all day. Like you all said, not a great look, but neither is recruiting a kid to just sit around for two days.

I haven't shared all of the things I know about this situation or this player, because it would be a long and cumbersome post. You have made a a lot of assumptions about things you don't know about, and you're completely wrong about a lot of stuff. The most accurate part of your comment was "I don't know".

Here's a few more things (but not all of them)...
- She clearly said why she was leaving
- She got (at least) what was presented by the coaches on how they expected to use her, which was accepted by her and her parents.
- She was given all 3 jerseys the team wore over the 4 days they played.
- She was included with the team pic taken after check-in.
- This was PGF Nationals. Especially as a lower-level team in the event, you play to win. Every game.
- She was used in the way that helped the team the best with the abilities she has.
- She is not a better player than our regular, long-term players.

EDIT: - She was added to the team recruiting flyer for the event, including a pic and her current data, just like every other player on the team.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
She had a great time. But she was never part of the team, didn't get a medal, wasn't in the team picture. And she even played all day on Sunday because one of their regulars got hurt, made a couple of key plays to help them advance to the semis. But she wasn't part of the team and the team treated her that way.

That's not the point -- you've got a guy calling a guest player a damn quitter for leaving at the end of an elimination game, when the guest player -- who was invited -- barely played all weekend and wasn't playing in the game in question. All I was suggesting that maybe the blame for this behavior isn't with the kid, but with the team who made her feel like leaving was an okay thing to do, because she wasn't a part of them anyway.

I don't know why people expect respect or loyalty from people they show none to. And I feel that's appropriate here because one of the parents of said team was fine with calling her a quitter without knowing anything beyond the fact she left. The decent thing to do when a kid helps you out is to thanks them. They did you a favor. But certainly not to be angry with her for not being a part of a team she's not a part of.

You're projecting your experience on another situation that you have only a tiny amount of information about.

Leaving a team in the middle of a game is unacceptable. Be classier than that. The softball community circle is small, and reputations are valuable.

More things you don't know that I do...
- The player's HS coach is a good friend of mine.
- The player isn't a random invite. She has a long-term connection with people on our team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Quitter in my book! Pathetic. I don't care how if you only had 1 AB, and CR one time. If you are listed on the roster for the tourney, you are on that team...period. To get up and leave during the MIDDLE of a game is unforgiveable. You wait until the last pitch, help pick up the dugout, meet outside the fence to listen the end of the tourney coach talk. Coach would most likely say glowing things about PP and be very thankful for helping the team. PP says thank you for the opportunity. Coach says, we would really like to see you at our next open practice. We feel you can bring alot to the team. High five and g'bye.

Feb 20, 2020
You trashed the kid. I tried to provide an explanation that might have lined up with the data provided.

Still doesn't seem to fit into either quitting (or certainly not hissy quitting) because no one was depending on her.

I've always told DD that she's a guest on the team she's guesting for. It's THEIR team, not hers, and she shouldn't expect to do anything but help out when needed, if at all, and if she's not cool with that, then she shouldn't play. And while I wouldn't allow her to leave during a game, trashing a girl whose departure really meant nothing to you or your organization feels like overkill, as does the coaches' subsequent blackballing and, I assume, the conversation you had with her HS coach.

You're right, softball is a small community, and reputations matter (to some people). Which is why trashing a kid for a rather innocuous offense might be a smidge overboard. Like someone said, be classier than that. Or does it only go one way?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm not on board with leaving in the middle of a game, but I think there are circumstances where not returning on Sunday might be warranted. As with most other situations, it comes down to what was communicated between HC and the pickup player in advance. If pickup player was told "you'll get plenty of playing time" and then plays two innings in the field and has one AB all day, then I can see being like, "It looks like you have things pretty well covered, so I think we'll head on home tomorrow, Coach." If they were told she's basically a warm body in case someone gets hurt and elects to come anyway, then there are no surprises and everyone's happy.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You trashed the kid. I tried to provide an explanation that might have lined up with the data provided.

Still doesn't seem to fit into either quitting (or certainly not hissy quitting) because no one was depending on her.

I've always told DD that she's a guest on the team she's guesting for. It's THEIR team, not hers, and she shouldn't expect to do anything but help out when needed, if at all, and if she's not cool with that, then she shouldn't play. And while I wouldn't allow her to leave during a game, trashing a girl whose departure really meant nothing to you or your organization feels like overkill, as does the coaches' subsequent blackballing and, I assume, the conversation you had with her HS coach.

You're right, softball is a small community, and reputations matter (to some people). Which is why trashing a kid for a rather innocuous offense might be a smidge overboard. Like someone said, be classier than that. Or does it only go one way?

This is a thread about hissy quit stories. I shared one of those stories. As I indicated before, it wasn't particularly "hissy", but it was definitely a quit. At the end of it, the motivation is pretty much universally the same with all of them - upset about playing time.

EDIT: PP's departure did mean something. It meant that she was not available for the role she agreed to fulfill for this event. The event was not over, and the opportunity to get in the game was not over. How many coaches do you know that would welcome back a player that walked out in the middle of a game? For me, that number is zero.

Maybe she decided our team wasn't a good fit for her. That's fine. Finding the right fit is important for every player. Quitting in the middle of a game is still the wrong way to handle things.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee