Anyone successfully use pitching machine for fielding?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Yall have to put in some work! Also quit using a kids bad for fungi. So many do it wrong, but its easy with a little work. Soon you'll be cutting fly balls to the outfield

Top spin. Start short and focus on the top of the ball. 10 to 15 feet away. Try to purposely drive the ball in the ground. Once the light goes on back them up a little. Soon they'll be in position and you're looking like a champ.

If you set them in position you'll be guaranteed to hit a backspin ball which can hurt more than help because it screws up their timing and gives that goofy first hop pop up.

Backspin is good for working on digs at first. Set up at 5 or 6 and hit short hops with Backspin. It's also great for doing catcher one hops from the infield. Catcher hops from. The outfield require cutting the ball to mimick throws to the throwing hand side of the fielder. Glove hand side to the catcher
Great stuff- I wish I would have worked much more on defense with dd. Spent all my time on hitting... So you use a regular wood fungo bat? Anything special I need to look for?
Balls with seams are better because dimple balls can bounce like superballs. If you already bave dimples go for it

I have some leather pitching machine balls. We don't use them for hitting any more- I'll have to check how they bounce. They are very hard. I have been tempted to get some slowpitch balls with leather covers for my machine, the seams are a lot lower. I see people using fastpitch balls with high seams for hitting out of Hack Attacks but don't like how that looks either.

ETA: @625ender A topspin grounder is probably not the hardest hit ball right? Maybe set up machine for 55-60 mph with drop ball spin?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
But that would require me to abandon my fantasy that the reason I cannot hit them is that I was too good of a hitter and just cannot not square up the ball :LOL:

Sure. See, as a pitcher in college, if we weren't throwing, running mindless foul poles, inventing games in the bullpen, or shagging flies, we were hitting fungos. A million fungos.

Also expert in tamping a mound, rolling a tarp, and hosing an infield. But mostly, hitting fungos.

Jun 8, 2016
Sure. See, as a pitcher in college, if we weren't throwing, running mindless foul poles, inventing games in the bullpen, or shagging flies, we were hitting fungos. A million fungos.

Also expert in tamping a mound, rolling a tarp, and hosing an infield. But mostly, hitting fungos.
Lol..I hit plenty of self toss growing up but I was usually trying to hit it as far as I could :LOL:

May 23, 2015
Great stuff- I wish I would have worked much more on defense with dd. Spent all my time on hitting... So you use a regular wood fungo bat? Anything special I need to look for?
Personally i like 36" and 37" wood bats. I have a lot more feel and control over the ball. At least that's what I think. Ive used them for so long its weird to use anything else. Theres a lot out there. Even aluminum fungos. Take it easy on yourself everyone does it. Strangely they forget that you're in the field more than at the plate. Defense will kill you on good days and save you on bad days

I have some leather pitching machine balls. We don't use them for hitting any more- I'll have to check how they bounce. They are very hard. I have been tempted to get some slowpitch balls with leather covers for my machine, the seams are a lot lower. I see people using fastpitch balls with high seams for hitting out of Hack Attacks but don't like how that looks either.
Look on Craigslist and Facebook. Any softball will do. A 3 wheel machine will eat up balls anyway.

ETA: @625ender A topspin grounder is probably not the hardest hit ball right? Maybe set up machine for 55-60 mph with drop ball spin?
I back the bottom wheel off about 1/3 the speed of my top wheels. Then if u want a ball to cut east or west I speed up whichever top wheel I need to get my spin. A 55 to 60 mph grounder is pretty sporty. If you have a gun check your speed.

Oct 26, 2019
Topspin balls are one of the main thing Marcela has issues with (had one eat her up yesterday) and I have a heck of a time hitting them. I can hit them to her if I have somebody angle toss to me which I haven't done in a while...might need to have DW toss to me next time if she comes with us :LOL: The dirt lane is nice!!

Edit: This is one of the reasons I like some outdoor BP with the fielders taking balls...Marcela's team never does it.

You can’t see the machine because it’s out of the video but here is the set up and it’s all in his backyard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478