Anyone successfully use pitching machine for fielding?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
DD will be home for a LONG winter break starting Thanksgiving. I’m trying to start thinking of drills we can do with what we have.

I have a lane with thin carpet over concrete. I have a three wheel pitching machine. Has anyone used a p machine to successfully work on ground balls? Tips on set up would be appreciated. Thanks, ww

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Is there a reason she can’t be hit fungos? Seems like a pitching machine would give her the same ball over and over (unless it’s easily manipulated). I would think hitting grounders, even throwing them would be more valuable.

Dec 11, 2010
Is there a reason she can’t be hit fungos? Seems like a pitching machine would give her the same ball over and over (unless it’s easily manipulated). I would think hitting grounders, even throwing them would be more valuable.

Mostly room- my home cage is only about 12’ wide. I believe we will be able to use various facilities with a high ceiling and turf at times. I just was thinking instead of sitting on a bucket rolling balls and doing one hops I could shoot a ball to exactly the same spot and she could do various “everyday” type drills.

What position does she play? Ive used a hack attack extensively for fielding

We are prepping for 2b- she has played ss and 3b the past couple summers.

Oct 26, 2019
Pitching machines - if set up properly for ground balls - give a more realistic “top spin” ground ball than the backspin ground ball you get when you hit a fungo. My DD goes to a coach for fielding lessons who had this exact setup except he had a dirt lane. He even had different ramps to make the ball hop differently. It’s a pretty impressive setup. His son was rated the best fielder in the cape cod league and played professionally based on the strength of his defense at SS.

May 23, 2015
Have her work on hops. Shorts, long and long/short in betweens. I also work on one step lateral backhands and forehands. Then graduate to two step and possibly dives. As mentioned top spins are the highest percentage of what you see live . Also work on cut grounders when you catch a right handed batter hitting a ball deep. They will skip to the 1B side on first hop. Line drive work is so much easier with a pitching machine if you're not a proficient fungo artist

Jun 8, 2016
Pitching machines - if set up properly for ground balls - give a more realistic “top spin” ground ball than the backspin ground ball you get when you hit a fungo. My DD goes to a coach for fielding lessons who had this exact setup except he had a dirt lane. He even had different ramps to make the ball hop differently. It’s a pretty impressive setup. His son was rated the best fielder in the cape cod league and played professionally based on the strength of his defense at SS.
Topspin balls are one of the main thing Marcela has issues with (had one eat her up yesterday) and I have a heck of a time hitting them. I can hit them to her if I have somebody angle toss to me which I haven't done in a while...might need to have DW toss to me next time if she comes with us :LOL: The dirt lane is nice!!

Edit: This is one of the reasons I like some outdoor BP with the fielders taking balls...Marcela's team never does it.

Dec 11, 2010
Excellent- this is exactly what I was looking for.

The topspin thing is exactly what I was thinking. I can hit grounders but I’m never exactly sure where it’s going and I sure I can’t do all the hops like some can.

Any preference on balls? Since we aren’t throwing, can I just use dimples?

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Excellent- this is exactly what I was looking for.

The topspin thing is exactly what I was thinking. I can hit grounders but I’m never exactly sure where it’s going and I sure I can’t do all the hops like some can.

Any preference on balls? Since we aren’t throwing, can I just use dimples?
Topspin balls are one of the main thing Marcela has issues with (had one eat her up yesterday) and I have a heck of a time hitting them. I can hit them to her if I have somebody angle toss to me which I haven't done in a while...might need to have DW toss to me next time if she comes with us :LOL: The dirt lane is nice!!

Edit: This is one of the reasons I like some outdoor BP with the fielders taking balls...Marcela's team never does it.
Yall have to put in some work! Also quit using a kids bad for fungi. So many do it wrong, but its easy with a little work. Soon you'll be cutting fly balls to the outfield

Top spin. Start short and focus on the top of the ball. 10 to 15 feet away. Try to purposely drive the ball in the ground. Once the light goes on back them up a little. Soon they'll be in position and you're looking like a champ.

If you set them in position you'll be guaranteed to hit a backspin ball which can hurt more than help because it screws up their timing and gives that goofy first hop pop up.

Backspin is good for working on digs at first. Set up at 5 or 6 and hit short hops with Backspin. It's also great for doing catcher one hops from the infield. Catcher hops from. The outfield require cutting the ball to mimick throws to the throwing hand side of the fielder. Glove hand side to the catcher

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse