Another glove thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
I'd be tempted to start the other way. Well, who am I kidding. I'd be buying both gloves ASAP.

Pitching with a first base glove would be goofy. I guess you can use the old glove until you get a new infield glove though.

Agreed. At 10u, you can play first with a regular glove.

Nov 8, 2020
I’m still more a fan of traditional with index out for infield, but definitely like TIP with index inside for outfield.
Most children/females do not have the strength in their pinky to close the end of the glove and you will see with them that when they have their hands in traditionally that the glove closed with the thumb closing to the middle finger( even many older males have thisnissue). With 2 in the pink, the ring finger now gives them the strength to close the glove thumb to pinky. When my son was 5 my cousins, who were playing minor league ball at the time, taught him that when he was having a catch with them and for the last 20+ years I have shown every person I have coached or done a glove for the same....lately it seems they all have done it that way already though.

A lot of the gloves I get in where the player takes their index finger out of their glove have trashed bindings where their index finger comes out. That's really my only peeve about using a glove that way. Binding repair is an expensive fix and when their parents ask me if I can fix that they often change their mind when I tell them the cost.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021
At 10 years old, there is no reason to buy an expensive glove. There is really no reason to buy a 1B mitt at this age. We all want the best for our children, me too. But she needs something lightweight. yes, you will be looking for a new glove in 18 months. So what. At that point, she'll have the winter to break in a real glove and the strength to lift it.

Believe me, I’m not looking to drop a billion dollars on some ultra heavy full grain nightly massaged steer leather. If she wasn’t complaining of getting her hand hurt I wouldn’t look at all. But Right now she is sporting the $40 wal-mart special from a couple years ago. I was just hoping to get a decent suggestion for something that will get her through a couple of seasons that’s somewhere between the junk she has now and a full HOH custom. Maybe something that the wife could get over spending in 2-3 weeks as opposed to 2-3 months would be nice too

Oct 4, 2018
Believe me, I’m not looking to drop a billion dollars on some ultra heavy full grain nightly massaged steer leather. If she wasn’t complaining of getting her hand hurt I wouldn’t look at all. But Right now she is sporting the $40 wal-mart special from a couple years ago. I was just hoping to get a decent suggestion for something that will get her through a couple of seasons that’s somewhere between the junk she has now and a full HOH custom. Maybe something that the wife could get over spending in 2-3 weeks as opposed to 2-3 months would be nice too

I assume you've checked the used gloves that members here are selling on the 'Equipment for Sale' section.

Might want to visit the used sporting goods store in your home town. I got a pretty nice, broken in catcher's glove for $40 for when my DD first showed interest in playing catcher.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Most children/females do not have the strength in their pinky to close the end of the glove and you will see with them that when they have their hands in traditionally that the glove closed with the thumb closing to the middle finger( even many older males have thisnissue).
Yeah I get your point, but not an "issue" for me, I actually like my gloves to close thumb to in between ring & middle. It's something I've done all my life! I have two Horweens right now I've broken in TIP, and it's refreshing to use them every now and then. Both of these are patterns that naturally work great with the TIP grip, either grip actually.

The Rawlings NP pattern is my favorite pattern these days, they definitely do not like TIP! They're a old school pattern that likes to be worn traditionally!

Nov 18, 2015
I’d like to be closer to the $120 range if I can get something quality that can be broken in fairly quickly for her. I just want everything and want it free like everyone else duh lol!
$133 - Amazon product ASIN B074N8RQPLI could break it in in about a week. May take 2-3 weeks just playing catch and working it with a mallet and conditioner (not oil). 12" is a good size for an all-around glove, especially if she'll be seeing time at 1B.

In the sub-$100 range - any of the gloves you mentioned would be fine for the next few years. If she's only playing rec, it will last her a while. With 50+ games a year, + practices, she'll be ready for a new glove around 12U. The above Mizuno should last her many years.

Jan 27, 2021
$133 - Amazon product ASIN B074N8RQPLI could break it in in about a week. May take 2-3 weeks just playing catch and working it with a mallet and conditioner (not oil). 12" is a good size for an all-around glove, especially if she'll be seeing time at 1B.

In the sub-$100 range - any of the gloves you mentioned would be fine for the next few years. If she's only playing rec, it will last her a while. With 50+ games a year, + practices, she'll be ready for a new glove around 12U. The above Mizuno should last her many years.
You sold me. Now what’s a good glove conditioner? Aren’t newb dads just horrible?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2