Another bat question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
My middle DD (11 yo) has taken a few swings with the various bats she was thinking of asking for Christmas. I thought she would settle for something her friends had, but surprisingly, she likes the Demarini CF - I think it was a 2022 model 32/-10. Much pop? Experiences? I do know the 2023's are out and that is likely what we would get if we go this route. She did well with the drop 10, but could have done well with the 32/-9 too, I do believe. What are the advantages of the -9 to the -10? Is there any?

May 16, 2016
Differences: -9 bats will be more end loaded, where the -10 will be balanced. Moving the weight out farther from the hands, could make the bat harder to control for younger players.

Advantages: If the player can swing the heavier -9 bat with the same bat speed and accuracy as the -10 (assuming same lengths), physics tells us the heavier bat will impart more force to the ball.

Aug 5, 2022
Not too many 11yo swing the drop 9. Mostly high school power hitters and college players. Unless she’s just a beast stick to the drop 10 for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The CF is a light-swinging bat, so even a -9 won't be heavy. Demarini tends to be very close to sticker weight, whereas other manufacturers are close to an ounce over what's listed.

A -9 will be heavier than a -10, but the extra mass can drive the ball further. Will it be noticeable at 11 years old? Probably not. Is she regularly driving the ball over the fence? If not, I would say the -10 might be the right weight for another year or two, at least.

The CF has plenty of pop and a big barrel, and it's also very forgiving on balls not squared up.

Oct 16, 2019
Differences: -9 bats will be more end loaded, where the -10 will be balanced. Moving the weight out farther from the hands, could make the bat harder to control for younger players.

Advantages: If the player can swing the heavier -9 bat with the same bat speed and accuracy as the -10 (assuming same lengths), physics tells us the heavier bat will impart more force to the ball.
I understand the physics. :) But I didn't think the -9 would be more end loaded than the -10 - I would have thought the extra weight to be dispersed throughout the bat - like maybe a little thicker wall. Is this thinking wrong?

May 16, 2016
Yes, there may be an exception out there (although, I am not aware of any), but generally speaking,

-10 = balanced
-9 = End Loaded
-8 = More end loaded.

I think the bat barrels are identical, and the weight is added internally.

1667853185116.png

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
A drop9 Demarini isnt that endloaded...a Demar drop9 is hardly noticeable because the
drop10s are sometimes even underweight. So its really up to what she can swing well.
If she can do a drop9 and not have any slowing of speed, go ahead.
Now remember, if she does go away from demarini, other bats will not weigh like they do.

Feb 24, 2022
My daughter (13 yrs old) had been swinging a -10 CF since 2019 (31" then moved up to 32"). Very durable bat. This season she is primarily using her Ghost, but still uses the CF for hitting lessons. As always, go with the bat she is most comfortable with that will give her the most confidence at the plate.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Demarini CF is a solid choice. If she swings a -10 well, get that. Don't guess on a -9 unless she's had a chance to try it. From personal experience, an ounce can make a big difference. If you really think she can handle an ounce heavier, consider going up an inch in length and getting a 33/23.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802