Angle of the hips at ball release.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Does the angle of the hips at ball release change from pitch type to pitch type? I am referring angle relative to home base and in relation to the ground?

Sep 3, 2015
I’m not an expert, but from what i understand, in order to change pitch trajectory without changing release, hips angling down for drop and up for rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
If I'm understanding the question correctly, I'd have to say no.

Personally I believe the mechanics have to be the same on every pitch for the sake of consistency and rhythm. What changes pitch to pitch is the release point (letting go early or late) and how the ball is spins. I get baffled when I hear of coaches teaching pitchers to step one way on this pitch, that way on another pitch, lean on one pitch, tilt back on another, etc. Basically learning 5 different ways to pitch for 5 different pitches. How can someone stay in a rhythm doing this?

Would this ever happen in baseball? I mean, if we were talking about a boy learning how to pitch baseball (or maybe someone on here grew up as a baseball pitcher can answer) what would you think of a baseball pitching coach who said to your son: You step straight on your fastball, but on your curve, you're going to step way off to the left, alter your stride and mechanics, and just throw the ball outside and we'll call it a curve. I doubt you'd go see that coach for a second lesson. But somehow this has become normalized in girls softball. It's mindboggling.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If I'm understanding the question correctly, I'd have to say no.

Personally I believe the mechanics have to be the same on every pitch for the sake of consistency and rhythm. What changes pitch to pitch is the release point (letting go early or late) and how the ball is spins. I get baffled when I hear of coaches teaching pitchers to step one way on this pitch, that way on another pitch, lean on one pitch, tilt back on another, etc. Basically learning 5 different ways to pitch for 5 different pitches. How can someone stay in a rhythm doing this?

Would this ever happen in baseball? I mean, if we were talking about a boy learning how to pitch baseball (or maybe someone on here grew up as a baseball pitcher can answer) what would you think of a baseball pitching coach who said to your son: You step straight on your fastball, but on your curve, you're going to step way off to the left, alter your stride and mechanics, and just throw the ball outside and we'll call it a curve. I doubt you'd go see that coach for a second lesson. But somehow this has become normalized in girls softball. It's mindboggling.
Some MLB pitchers can utilize multiple arm slots but most do not.

Aug 21, 2008
Some MLB pitchers can utilize multiple arm slots but most do not.
agreed. But, arm slot changes I understand. But what many girls are taught are drastic differences from pitch to pitch. Different strides, different direction of strides, different follow throughs, different body postures, etc.

Imagine a MLB pitcher throwing his fastball, then when throwing a curve, he strides way off line and has a very different follow through/release. It's unheard of.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’m in agreement with Hillhouse. DD was first taught this by her initial pitching coach. Then we heard it through Hillhouse’s videos. And now DD’s latest coach preaches it.

One thing that has made DD successful is that her drop looks like her change which looks like her elevated FB (she doesn’t have a rise yet). There’s no lean or changing hip angle.

Oct 26, 2019
agreed. But, arm slot changes I understand. But what many girls are taught are drastic differences from pitch to pitch. Different strides, different direction of strides, different follow throughs, different body postures, etc.

Imagine a MLB pitcher throwing his fastball, then when throwing a curve, he strides way off line and has a very different follow through/release. It's unheard of.
As someone who pitched at the college level, one of the things our pitching coaches stressed the most was having a consistent and repeatable delivery. I 100% agree with you on this one.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

I agree with you. I will often hear pitchers' dads talk about how their DDs throw different pitches with the lean forward, step out, cut across, step across but when I see the best most effective and consistent pitcher deliveries, they look at ease and simple.

Jul 31, 2015
Does the angle of the hips at ball release change from pitch type to pitch type? I am referring angle relative to home base and in relation to the ground?

Nope. Angie should be the same regardless of pitch. Tilting up for a rise, say, or down for a drop is bad mechanics, and it gives the pitch away.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812