Always Play Your Age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
This is primarily a question regarding HS freshman. There are a lot of FB and Twitter posts over the last few weeks showing a lot of HS freshman winning HS softball district awards (newcomer of the year, pitcher of the year, catcher of the year, offensive MVP, defensive MVP, 1st team, 2nd team, etc). These are all talented players receiving well deserved recognitions. However, most of these girls then go play 14u travel ball all summer instead of playing against a majority of HS aged athletes in 16u.

To me that seems like playing down (even though they are age eligible).

What are the advantages or disadvantages?

(this is not a debate about the age eligibility changes coming soon).

Jun 8, 2016
This is primarily a question regarding HS freshman. There are a lot of FB and Twitter posts over the last few weeks showing a lot of HS freshman winning HS softball district awards (newcomer of the year, pitcher of the year, catcher of the year, offensive MVP, defensive MVP, 1st team, 2nd team, etc). These are all talented players receiving well deserved recognitions. However, most of these girls then go play 14u travel ball all summer instead of playing against a majority of HS aged athletes in 16u.

To me that seems like playing down (even though they are age eligible).

What are the advantages or disadvantages?

(this is not a debate about the age eligibility changes coming soon).
Depends on the type of 14u team she is on and what type of competition they play. DD’s second year 14u team has a pitcher on it who is finalist for OK player of the year. While she is doing well I think her HS ERA was lower than her current TB ERA…🤷🏽‍♂️

Aug 21, 2020
Up here in the Northeast - some of the 14U teams I've seen could give my local HS varsity team a run rule and that's probably the case elsewhere too.

This has been discussed on the board before - HS teams are at best weird combinations of different ages and skill levels where the HS coach needs to do the best they can with the girls that try out. Whereas in travel ball - the players are selected to fulfill specific roles and many of them get coached and play together for many years. There's no compelling reason to bump my DD up an age group and learn a new coach and team and discard 4+ years of teamwork.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Depends on the type of 14u team she is on and what type of competition they play. DD’s second year 14u team has a pitcher on it who is finalist for OK player of the year. While she is doing well I think her HS ERA was lower than her current TB ERA…🤷🏽‍♂️

I agree that not all HS teams/programs/districts are create equal. In a lot of these cases, these girls play on top level HS teams (with several committed players) that are very competitive in Districts/Areas/Regions that are also very competitive, and then play 14u in the summer. In 4-5 top of mind examples, the 14u travel team would have 0% chance to win against the HS team (it wouldn't be close).

Just an observation.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter is a pitcher on a 16U National team, and she's played varsity since she was in 8th grade. The skill level on her HS team isn't even in the same realm as her TB team. We have several girls who've never played a game outside of HS or LL, and we sometimes face the competition of that same ilk. Her TB team would mercy any HS team in my home state. That's not a criticism of the HS teams. It's just reality.

Could she compete against 18U National competition now? Absolutely. But the recruiting is done at the 16U level, at least at the National level. Could she have competed against 18U National competition as an 8th grader? As much as I love my daughter, the answer is a simple no.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree that not all HS teams/programs/districts are create equal. In a lot of these cases, these girls play on top level HS teams (with several committed players) that are very competitive in Districts/Areas/Regions that are also very competitive, and then play 14u in the summer. In 4-5 top of mind examples, the 14u travel team would have 0% chance to win against the HS team (it wouldn't be close).

Just an observation.
If they are dominating 14u ball they should be playing 16u..If not then they are where they belong imo..

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
My daughter is a pitcher on a 16U National team, and she's played varsity since she was in 8th grade. The skill level on her HS team isn't even in the same realm as her TB team. We have several girls who've never played a game outside of HS or LL, and we sometimes face the competition of that same ilk. Her TB team would mercy any HS team in my home state. That's not a criticism of the HS teams. It's just reality.

Could she compete against 18U National competition now? Absolutely. But the recruiting is done at the 16U level, at least at the National level. Could she have competed against 18U National competition as an 8th grader? As much as I love my daughter, the answer is a simple no.

I agree that some schools aren't good and that should be considered. But again, I'm talking about teams that have several D1 committed players. Obviously, the level of HS you play for should be considered for sure.

However, you brought up a great point. 16u is where recruiting happens. Does that factor into the decision to play up?

Feb 24, 2022
Up here in the Northeast - some of the 14U teams I've seen could give my local HS varsity team a run rule and that's probably the case elsewhere too.

This has been discussed on the board before - HS teams are at best weird combinations of different ages and skill levels where the HS coach needs to do the best they can with the girls that try out. Whereas in travel ball - the players are selected to fulfill specific roles and many of them get coached and play together for many years. There's no compelling reason to bump my DD up an age group and learn a new coach and team and discard 4+ years of teamwork.
Exactly. Recently saw a varsity team here in the Northeast that a good 12u team would beat. The disparity in quality of play is unbelievable.

In our area it's typical for teams to play 14u the Fall of 9th grade, play HS in the Spring, then the club team jumps to 16u - even though they are still 14u eligible. Lower level teams might stay at14u, but any solid B team or above is playing up in my experience.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree that some schools aren't good and that should be considered. But again, I'm talking about teams that have several D1 committed players. Obviously, the level of HS you play for should be considered for sure.

However, you brought up a great point. 16u is where recruiting happens. Does that factor into the decision to play up?
Texas is very different than New York. We're not exactly a softball hotbed up here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802