Alternate Ball for 5-8th graders.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2015
So our rec league division has girls from 5th-8th grade due to a limited pool of girls. Due to this there has been a debate over the type of ball to be used. For years they used a traditional 12 inch HS type dudley ball. The debate apparently started when one of the coach's daughter suffered a concussion from getting hit with a ball. Since then the league decided to try using Clinchers and in one season a training ball. The training ball provided the feel and laces of a real ball but proved to be too bouncy. The clincher is what it is.

In one camp the feeling is that any girl who is trying to learn how to really pitch is being put at a disservice and that the ball comes off the bat very dead. Also for 7th and 8th graders with HS aspirations the thought is that we arent preparing them well for the next level.

The other camp feels that it is a safety issue. I think if we were able to split the ages (5th-6th grade and 7th and 8th grade) it would be different but people are concerned about the younger girls.

Personally I feel that we should mandate masks in the infield and use the normal ball. What I'm looking for is any ideas of alternatives being used other than what I discussed above. A regular ball with a softer compression could be ideal. Anyone using anything else out there?

Jan 23, 2014
If they aren't going to use a real ball, why play? These are not 5 year olds. There is inherent risk involved when playing sports. You can't play in a padded room, how would you prevent concussions caused by collision or by falling and hitting head on the ground?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You are in a hard situation. I wouldn’t want my 8th grade DD whacking or throwing a ball at a 5th grader.

I hate to say it but a soft ball might be the way to go.

You are right about HS but I think your primary focus needs to be to your league, let the want to be HS players go somewhere else.

(DD has played with a hard ball since 8 but she was playing against other 8 year olds.)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
It is a hard situation due to the age range. I honestly dont believe we should have the 5th-8th grade range. There is such a huge difference physically, emotionally and in intelligence in the game. We've got some girls coming in as 5th graders to play on their friends team who cant throw or catch yet and then 8th graders who are close to hitting dead center 200 ft HRs. I'm sure any LL has the same thing. Unfortunately it is what it is and probably wont change. We dont have enough 7th-8th graders to field enough teams.

Our commissioner of the division actually spoke to one highly respected HS coach who's daughter played in the division up until last year and is now a freshman windmill pitcher on his team. He felt that using the clincher last year (the first year they did) didnt affect her adversely. He felt that once they move up to HS they will adjust fine due to practicing and playing more. My stepdaughters pitching trainer is really against her pitching with the clincher. Not sure how I will handle that on a personal level.

I'm going to Dick's to check out some other balls there. There seems to be a lot of "soft compression" and "sponge core" balls on the market just not sure if they are the same training ball that we trialed in fall ball. That one just bounced way to much.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As far as pitching DD practices indoor with the soft ball, I have not seen any downside to it.

In games I would worry about her throwing to many meatballs over the plate because they are not going anywhere anyways but that would be our problem not yours.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is an OK SB player and has a filter where she backs off a little bit, with all that said I would still be worried about her playing with an untrained 5th grader. I am good with armoring up but I do not think that is the answer to the OP.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
5th graders play 12U softball with 7th graders up until 1 Aug all the time. What's the difference between the 7th grader on 1 Aug and that same girl on 1 Sep when school is in session???? I would change the ball that they use, I would look at age groups. I wouldn't put my 10yr old on 3rd vs an experienced 8th grader but parents put 8th graders on 18U teams vs experienced Seniors.

It's all about what we are comfortable with. Our little princess at 10 is looked at much differently than the 14yr old that now has a bit of an attitude at times. But really they can get hurt the same.

Apr 1, 2010
You are in a hard situation. I wouldn’t want my 8th grade DD whacking or throwing a ball at a 5th grader.

I hate to say it but a soft ball might be the way to go.

You are right about HS but I think your primary focus needs to be to your league, let the want to be HS players go somewhere else.

(DD has played with a hard ball since 8 but she was playing against other 8 year olds.)

I got badly hurt playing catch w/DD when she was 11-12(?). My skill level is probably somewhere around that of the younger girls who aren't very adept at throwing or catching. I agree that putting strong 7th-8th graders with unskilled 5th graders is playing with fire. I'd be ok with putting experienced 5th graders in with older girls, but that doesn't sound like the situation here.

I understand there aren't nearly enough girls, but could they split the girls into two teams, one with the younger girls/one with the older, have each team practice with their own age group, but swap pitching staffs when they play?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore