Alexis 12yrs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Goes back to “load” and stays back. That’s the timing issue. Then she’s rushed. Knee lift forward. Think load forward. Try to eliminate any rearward movement. Don’t pick the foot up and put it down in the same spot. Pick it up and move the belly button forward. Don’t teach any gather stuff.

to go forward you MUST go back. Think planes of motion. Stop ignoring the video. If you just pick up the front foot you will lunge. You will have no legs. No glutes.think head to toe which is the action of gather. Results are in the s-plane.

1613953309933.gif
1613953940398.gif
These two gather the same way. Vertically. Head to toe. Good hitters gather.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Aug 20, 2017
to go forward you MUST go back. Think planes of motion. Stop ignoring the video. If you just pick up the front foot you will lunge. You will have no legs. No glutes.think head to toe which is the action of gather. Results are in the s-plane.

View attachment 21126
View attachment 21127
These two gather the same way. Vertically. Head to toe. Good hitters gather.
But you don’t need to teach “go back to go forward”. The knee lift will shift the weight back for you. The knee lift is against a posted up backside. I see these hitters preparing to knee lift and stride. Not gather, knee lift, stride. This is not a swing mechanics discussion. It’s a timing discussion. The body MUST be moving forward at pitch release. If it’s not, success is minimal. Don’t go back, then knee lift. Knee lift and you will go back some. This movement back must be limited imo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
But you don’t need to teach “go back to go forward”. The knee lift will shift the weight back for you. The knee lift is against a posted up backside. I see these hitters preparing to knee lift and stride. Not gather, knee lift, stride. This is not a swing mechanics discussion. It’s a timing discussion. The body MUST be moving forward at pitch release. If it’s not, success is minimal. Don’t go back, then knee lift. Knee lift and you will go back some. This movement back must be limited imo.

when you tell a dad that the ‘gather’ is the problem. And to not do that. You made it a mechanics discussion.

the gather M I G H T be a problem.. but when you see her start her ‘gather’ during release, I think it’s easy to see the timing needs to be addressed before anything else can be assessed Right? Why chase something that your not sure of? Fix timing and then reassess.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Go back into your butt. Stay tall. That’s gather as simple as I can put it. To just pick up the front foot is binding. You better have a really narrow stance for any glute action and any kinda balance and timing.

Mar 6, 2016
Now now boys... lol

What she has been trying to do (maybe it doesn't show in the game swings)...she's trying on working on as her "timing" and movement is to drop or lower downward a tad into her right hip. Not backwards over her right foot. Her "load" goal is similar to what Trout does and also some other hitting vids. To drop slightly down but on her inner half of right knee just a tad into her right glute and slightly turn inward (coil) with front knee.

I agree that she's having a timing issue on when she starts is too late and becomes to abrupt and she just pick up her front foot and puts it down. There isn't enough movement forward/stride to me.

The swing that I really like and one that may show what my DD goal or movement should be is MaddieF. Love that kids swing!

Notice the little movement sway downward into right hip with bend in knee. Then front leg coils in and upper body bends over a bit. that is what I'm trying to get my DD to do and understand.

For my DD- Note the slight "drop" at 2-3 seconds. The major problem though is its all too late and she has to quickly drop her foot and swing instead of a more smoother movement pattern and does not generate as much force forward as she could and not driving through the ball. So a ball like this which flew to mid RCF , would be possibly hit to deep RCF gap.

Jun 5, 2019
Go back into your butt. Stay tall. That’s gather as simple as I can put it. To just pick up the front foot is binding. You better have a really narrow stance for any glute action and any kinda balance and timing.

Does stay tall mean don't move your head backward? Load against your head while still loading that rear glute area. Would you say this action takes place as the leg is being lifted or before or depends....?

My observation is that it is one move. At least in the Trout and Betts example above. To be clear I can see how it is easy to lift my front leg especially if spread out and not load the glute/hamstrings properly. It appears to be one blended move.

Aug 20, 2017
Now now boys... lol

What she has been trying to do (maybe it doesn't show in the game swings)...she's trying on working on as her "timing" and movement is to drop or lower downward a tad into her right hip. Not backwards over her right foot. Her "load" goal is similar to what Trout does and also some other hitting vids. To drop slightly down but on her inner half of right knee just a tad into her right glute and slightly turn inward (coil) with front knee.

I agree that she's having a timing issue on when she starts is too late and becomes to abrupt and she just pick up her front foot and puts it down. There isn't enough movement forward/stride to me.

The swing that I really like and one that may show what my DD goal or movement should be is MaddieF. Love that kids swing!

Notice the little movement sway downward into right hip with bend in knee. Then front leg coils in and upper body bends over a bit. that is what I'm trying to get my DD to do and understand.

For my DD- Note the slight "drop" at 2-3 seconds. The major problem though is its all too late and she has to quickly drop her foot and swing instead of a more smoother movement pattern and does not generate as much force forward as she could and not driving through the ball. So a ball like this which flew to mid RCF , would be possibly hit to deep RCF gap.

Get her to knee lift into good posture working downhill while the pitcher still has the ball. Control this forward movement (not quick and twitchy). This will activate her glutes, quads. Must work on it in front toss, tees, machine etc. Takes time but once she gets this timing aspect down she will be on time more consistently and start hitting rockets. I would work on the feel of moving forward while pitcher has ball first using Justin Stone feet together drill. Then widen her out some and work on knee lifting into good posture and moving forward in a controlled manner. Takes time. It’s awkward. They aren’t used to the feeling of being early.

Work knows his stuff. I’ve learned a lot from him. I agree with 99.9% of what he says/teaches. Like Bruiser said I see the gather/load/knee lift as one movement. When you teach load then knee lift or lose then stride hitters get stuck back. That’s been my experience teaching it. I teach the knee lift into good posture working downhill. Forward at release.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Thank you for your kind words about Maddie.

A thought for your Alexis..."Ball in the air, foot in the air". In other words, when the pitcher releases the ball, she should be picking up her foot for her forward move. Don't get the foot down early - get it down at the right time. Control the move with the rear leg. This needs to happen on every pitch. This will also significantly change the tempo of her pre-launch sequence significantly, and it's going to take some time getting used to a new approach.

Jun 5, 2019
Another thought is get your leg up while crunching down with the core that action presses my rear heel into the ground and loads the leg.

Aug 20, 2017
Does stay tall mean don't move your head backward? Load against your head while still loading that rear glute area. Would you say this action takes place as the leg is being lifted or before or depends....?

My observation is that it is one move. At least in the Trout and Betts example above. To be clear I can see how it is easy to lift my front leg especially if spread out and not load the glute/hamstrings properly. It appears to be one blended move.
Don’t spread out much. Like you said the glutes and hams don’t load well if at all and usually the hitter gets stuck. I like to start from shoulder width. Kinda like the Antonelli Hover Drill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2