Advice From the Batman: Play to Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Last weekend my two sons Adam and Eric came over to the house for a big event: to watch “Zach Snyder’s Justice League.” First off let me say that while the movie is more than four hours long it was time well-spent. Not only because I got to spend that kind of time with two […]

More...

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I will never knock a team for utilizing the rules given to “not lose”. But I’ll never be an advocate of it. I’m in the “play to win” camp. Give your players the opportunity to seize a moment and have true success. Or fail and learn from it.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Coaches that need to hear this...won't. Or they will somehow not realize that it describes them or, they will feel that they know better.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Coaches that need to hear this...won't. Or they will somehow not realize that it describes them or, they will feel that they know better.
Or they will justify it to themselves somehow.

As I see it, I can't change everyone. But if I can help just one coach see the light, maybe the light will spread.

Aug 24, 2018
It's funny. My 19 year old son made me watch all 4 hours of that thing (even know half of it was in the other version). I actually thought about softball during that part of the movie.

We played an indoor tournament in Feb. where the rules were questionable at best (in play off the wall, has to be so high on the wall to be a HR, etc.). The worst one is drop dead at 80 mins. We are in a great game where we take the lead on a 2 run HR and look at the clock to see 10 mins left. Being the away team with 1 out, we faced a dilemma. Do we take the bat out of the hands of the next 2 batters? Being in the northeast, the next 2 batters have been working hard for 2 months in the cage, on the tee, etc. But, time is running out. As we struggle with what to do, the next batter crushes a double off the wall in right field. Now with 8 mins to go, we bunt the next girl (error), and then have them step off the bases.

Bottom of the inning, our pitcher strikes out 2 batters on 6 pitches (DD on the mound). Next batter goes 0-2 and then fouls 3 pitches off. Time up, game over, revert to last inning, we're out of the bracket.

Point of this long winded story is not our struggle with playing to win, but the other coaching staff. They didn't call time or ask their batters to delay looking for non-existent wristband signs. They played the game like it should be played. They gave us the chance to win or lose based on what happened on the field. After the game, 3 of their players came up to my DD and told her she pitched great and really won that game.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It's funny. My 19 year old son made me watch all 4 hours of that thing (even know half of it was in the other version). I actually thought about softball during that part of the movie.

We played an indoor tournament in Feb. where the rules were questionable at best (in play off the wall, has to be so high on the wall to be a HR, etc.). The worst one is drop dead at 80 mins. We are in a great game where we take the lead on a 2 run HR and look at the clock to see 10 mins left. Being the away team with 1 out, we faced a dilemma. Do we take the bat out of the hands of the next 2 batters? Being in the northeast, the next 2 batters have been working hard for 2 months in the cage, on the tee, etc. But, time is running out. As we struggle with what to do, the next batter crushes a double off the wall in right field. Now with 8 mins to go, we bunt the next girl (error), and then have them step off the bases.

Bottom of the inning, our pitcher strikes out 2 batters on 6 pitches (DD on the mound). Next batter goes 0-2 and then fouls 3 pitches off. Time up, game over, revert to last inning, we're out of the bracket.

Point of this long winded story is not our struggle with playing to win, but the other coaching staff. They didn't call time or ask their batters to delay looking for non-existent wristband signs. They played the game like it should be played. They gave us the chance to win or lose based on what happened on the field. After the game, 3 of their players came up to my DD and told her she pitched great and really won that game.
That is a great story, and it sounds like two teams that will do well as they go forward. Both understand that the best way to win is by just going for it and letting the chips fall where they may.

While only one team got credit, sounds like two teams were winners that day. Congratulations to you both. And you know what? Someday when your team is facing pressure and can't be saved by the clock they will be better prepared to handle it. Iron is forged in fire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478