Abandoning a team mid season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
Toxic environments are the worst than anything I can think of. I'd rather be on a crappy team with a good enviroment than a good team with a bad one.
Being bad team and bad enviroment...... deal breaker.

Jun 24, 2019
I can give you my advise dd left her team in mid season due to “mental health” or toxic environment, couple of people in this forum started with their smart rear remarks as meaning only their 💩 don’t stink, anyways I am glad we made the switch, dd skills and confidence went up, at the end of the day it’s what’s better for your DD and her development.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I feel for your DD, OP. I've seen my share of teen girl drama being a former high school student...especially from on my old field hockey team (my sister loves the new coach they got after the school basically told the old coach to kick sand).

As a college-level catcher, I would have never allowed what happened to your daughter to have happened on my watch. Even if I may not have gotten along with her. What those catchers on her team did was totally inexcusable. I had a pitcher on my team that I didn't get along with this season. But, as much as she wanted to be a jerk, we came to an agreement that we would at least be civil when we were on the softball field. That way, we wouldn't bring our drama to the playing field and cause a rift among our teammates. I try to be at least friends with all of my teammates.

As far as what you should do? I would at least talk to the coach about the situation. If the coach doesn't seem like they want to do anything about the situation, I'd say leave.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Due to the coach being lax and allowing a toxic environment tp creep in. this team is doomed and won't last the rest of the season anyway. Hastening it's demise by leaving and putting it out of it's misery will only help the situation. You, as her parent, need to look after your DD's mental well being and her continued love of the game as opposed to having her possibly walk away from the game itself. I would recommend running from this team not just walking though.

Oct 4, 2018
Head coach wasn't there -- she had a last-minute work emergency. Assistants were kind of a mess.

When she found out what happened, she was livid, but it didn't change the past.

I think we mean coach is lazy to have let the team get to where it is now. Sounds like a horrible situation. We would be gone.

Jun 11, 2012
Normally I’m a stick it out to the end of the season. But it sounds like a pretty toxic environment.
You really only have 2 choices. Either talk to the coach, calmly explain your point. Show him/her the texts if you have copies of them and hope for the best or run for the hills.
In this case I suggest running for the hills.

Sep 13, 2020
You have to ask yourself whether it's a team/coach that you want your DD to be a part of and whether the situation is salvageable. If it's something worth fighting for then you shouldn't let the catcher run off your daughter. On the other hand, if the team is imploding anyway, don't be the last one out the door.

This is an earlier age group than what you're dealing with but my DD had similar issues on her 1st year 12U team. The pitchers were acting like prima donnas and diminishing what the catchers did on the team ... anyone can catch, pitchers are the most important position on the field, why didn't you catch that pitch that was three feet over your head, etc. Rather than just leave the team, we talked to the coach and he had a long talk with both the pitchers and catchers at the same time. He did a good job of rallying the kids around the idea that a pitcher and catcher are a team within the team.

That same season, my DD pitched on the town baseball team. When she got up there and made mistakes she understood the enormous pressure on a pitcher and how, as a catcher, she needed to build up the pitcher's confidence. It went a long way to her being more patient and empathetic with some of the challenges that pitchers face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802