AB 16 y.o.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Canucks aye?

Love the attitute. There's some valuable data in those clips.

As an athlete ... it's easy to see that she's a prototypical elite physique, clearly has the biomechanics and has the "can do" spirit of enthusiasm. Alot of +'s.

As a young, developing hitter ... I'd agree that your own assessment of her as a contact hitter is appropriate. I also see a little bit of what I would call 2020 cookie cutter in her swing mechanics. What I'm seeing is a level of exaggeration in three areas ... stance footwork, lower body rotation and upper body follow through. A good chunk of those swings are producing a slice effect on the softball trajectory, because of a more inside-out bat path. At the moment, my opinion is that her approach is primarily rotational. I see an overproduction of rhythym but an underproduction of torque production.

If she's interested in developing more raw power in her swing, my suggestion is to work on developing a hybrid linear/rotational approach. Really work on developing purpose and intent. More balanced footwork ... relax the lead toe, work on driving off of the inner ball/big toe of the drive foot, drive hard to a strong plant/collapse the back side rather than rotate 90 degrees and on the top side, drive the hands hard to contact and allow the bat to take the hands with the explosion to max energy release. She hits to contact, then hits the brakes.

If I was a recruiting coach, I'd suggest she blends in with the rest. With her physique, athleticism and enthusiasm, breaking out of the pack should be pretty straightforward. Remember, hitting with power is a violent act. Mechanics & mind must be onboard for the ride.

PS ... who lays off that high strike in BP? Always challenge your ability to get outside the comfort zone here ... challenging the margins ... getting after everything she can get a piece of the barrel on - that one in particular goes a long way in a straight line! ;)

Dad - Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Chris

Great advice, thanks a bunch! Totally agree about the slice effect; you should have seen it a year ago LOL. Work in progress!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
personally wouldn’t prescribe to trying to leave the ground. Actually I think staying in the ground for as long as possible is best. The elite pattern is basically a timed squat. If you push with the foot out of the ground you lose the ability to use the muscles that are for squatting.. your glutes and hammies. The feet should act as anchors not force producers. Look at any good pro and you will see the feet stay w the ground for as long as possible and afterward try to get back to the ground ASAP. Anchors.

In order to rotate efficiently you need stability. The legs and feet are just that.Nothing more.

Look at his feet. Are they pushing? Or trying to hold on to ground as long as possible?

1608829319844.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478