AAU basketball and TB?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Good luck on her journey. I know of athletes who have played two sports in college but the sports season were at opposite semesters of the school year.
It isn't really about playing two sports in college but more about allowing her to play two sports she likes at the highest level possible for as long as she can. As far as playing two sports in college, that is a long ways away (and who knows if she will be good enough at either to play them in college) and while I am not going to volunteer her my opinion, if she asks I would definitely voice my concerns about doing both.

As these youngsters were growing up they prioritize part of the Season that was important like perhaps basketball maybe has a season of two or three months. We're softball has tournaments throughout the year and just for a couple months they would Miss softball events but they were not the priority events in the year.
That is the issue. As they get older, the major basketball and softball events occur around the same time and how her respective coaches would deal with making choices to miss certain tournaments for the other sport. I guess maybe her plan should be to get so good that they just have to deal with it.. ;)

I am sure it will work itself out, perhaps through her own decisions about what she wants to do, but I am very good about stressing about things for no reason...:cautious:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
It might be possible and if you (and your DD) have the desire, time, and $$$ I'd say give it a go. My twin DD's played both along with some club lacrosse and volleyball but once HS started it quickly scaled back to TB softball and HS basketball only. Along with the extra pitching and catching lessons/practice and camps that was about all that was doable for us. Fortunately, they have always played the same sports and were on the same teams. Now in their Sophomore year at a high academic DIII where they were recruited to play softball they also considered playing hoops. The BB Head Coach who is also an Asst Softball Coach would welcome them and they could definitely add value to the team but they have decided not to pursue it in order to focus on the books and the rest of the college experience that exists outside of athletics. Sure, they miss it (they'd played hoops every winter since 3rd grade) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it but it's the right decision for them. And I guess that's the point, they had the choice. Good luck to your DD and keep chasing those dreams!

Jun 8, 2016
It might be possible and if you (and your DD) have the desire, time, and $$$ I'd say give it a go. My twin DD's played both along with some club lacrosse and volleyball but once HS started it quickly scaled back to TB softball and HS basketball only. Along with the extra pitching and catching lessons/practice and camps that was about all that was doable for us. Fortunately, they have always played the same sports and were on the same teams. Now in their Sophomore year at a high academic DIII where they were recruited to play softball they also considered playing hoops. The BB Head Coach who is also an Asst Softball Coach would welcome them and they could definitely add value to the team but they have decided not to pursue it in order to focus on the books and the rest of the college experience that exists outside of athletics. Sure, they miss it (they'd played hoops every winter since 3rd grade) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it but it's the right decision for them. And I guess that's the point, they had the choice. Good luck to your DD and keep chasing those dreams!
Yes the $$$ might be an issue at some point too especially considering I have two younger sons who are going to have their own activities. Maybe I can work for Doordash in my spare time..my students would love
having me deliver food to their door.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Or you could be an Uber driver and shuttle your students around from bar to bar at night? Tips should be good right?

Jun 8, 2016
Or you could be an Uber driver and shuttle your students around from bar to bar at night? Tips should be good right?
I could hold office hours while doing it..kill two birds with one stone. I like it..

Sep 17, 2009
At some point it may not be necessary -- depending on the high school and her abilities -- to travel for both sports in order to play varsity high school in both. That's kind of the best scenario -- quit traveling for one around fresh/soph year while still playing both high school seasons. My DD played softball and volleyball (both varsity and travel) simultaneously through her junior year and for her it was worth it but we also had a very competitive but friendly travel softball team that I helped coach so that was at least one coach she wasn't ticking off :)

Jun 8, 2016
At some point it may not be necessary -- depending on the high school and her abilities -- to travel for both sports in order to play varsity high school in both. That's kind of the best scenario -- quit traveling for one around fresh/soph year while still playing both high school seasons.
That may end up being what happens but I would rather she make that decision (or her playing ability dictates it..eg she cannot compete in both at a high level) rather it be forced on her. Like I said, this isn't about playing both to get recruited but more about playing the best competition she can (assuming she wants to of course) for as long as she can.

Of course I know that isn't the way life works sometimes and it may be a situation where she has no choice but quit one Travel sport 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017
Lisa Ferdandez played both (of course 30 years ago) at UCLA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478